Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if it possible to make a key that opens the driver door in case I leave the keys inside and manage to lock the doors. This way, I can use a magnetic key holder and place it somewhere outside of the car.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
594 Posts
I would like to know if it possible to make a key that opens the driver door in case I leave the keys inside and manage to lock the doors. This way, I can use a magnetic key holder and place it somewhere outside of the car.

Thanks,

Andy

Do you have smart or the normal key?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
The only way you could lock the car up with the key inside would be do open the doors, exit the vehicle, lock the doors, open the trunk, throw your key inside, then close the trunk.
The Smart Key system will not lock if it senses a key inside of any part of the car (including the trunk), even if it senses a key outside of the car. My wife can't lock her purse in the trunk without giving her key to me unless the doors are locked first.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
I believe I have the normal key that comes standard with 2018 Camry LE, and it does not do remote start.
Do you have a push to start on the dash, or do you have to physically insert and turn the key? My Corolla has a "Smart Key" with PTT but does not have remote start.
Sorry... I thought PTT was standard on everything above the base "L" model, but apparently it is optional on the LE and SE.
Reason I assumed that you have PTT is because you ware asking about a cheap door key. A basic non-chipped blank will open the door if you don't have PTT. If you do have PTT, then the key is a flat blade with a wiggly groove... that is not a cheap key.
Sometimes the "key cutter" at places like Home Depot will give you grief and refuse to cut a non-chipped blank... probably worried about a return. Most locksmiths will cut it for you if you explain that you only need it to open the door.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a push to start on the dash, or do you have to physically insert and turn the key? My Corolla has a "Smart Key" with PTT but does not have remote start.
Sorry... I thought PTT was standard on everything above the base "L" model, but apparently it is optional on the LE and SE.
Reason I assumed that you have PTT is because you ware asking about a cheap door key. A basic non-chipped blank will open the door if you don't have PTT. If you do have PTT, then the key is a flat blade with a wiggly groove... that is not a cheap key.
Sometimes the "key cutter" at places like Home Depot will give you grief and refuse to cut a non-chipped blank... probably worried about a return. Most locksmiths will cut it for you if you explain that you only need it to open the door.
Thank you for your reply. I have to physically insert a key in the ignition switch. I am not sure if I have the metal part of the key made, since it does not have a chip somewhere in it, if inserted in the door, It would refuse to open the door, or it would trip the alarm ( although this is not a show stopper) or damage the car computer.

I know for fact that for my 2015 Camry LE that has a normal looking key ( not like my 2018 Camry LE Key that has a slot machined out on both sides ) after I made duplicate non-chip key, I was able to open the door without any issue, but even though the key would insert in the ignition switch and unlock th3 steering wheel, it could not start the car.

I have locked out myself a couple of times, once with the situation you described, and other time just getting out of the car and hitting the door lock button on the door handle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
Ahh... That is the same type of key that the Smart Key uses to open the door in case of dead battery.
You'll definitely have to hit up a locksmith to duplicate that. It'll be more than the typical $3 Home Depot copy.

I can't guarantee that it won't set the alarm off, but it won't cause any damage to the system.

My wife succeeded in locking her keys in her '15 Rav4 (non-smart key). Luckily she was at home, and was able to open the front door to get back into the house with the phone app on the smartlock... but she was done shopping for the day :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
The only way you could lock the car up with the key inside would be do open the doors, exit the vehicle, lock the doors, open the trunk, throw your key inside, then close the trunk.
The Smart Key system will not lock if it senses a key inside of any part of the car (including the trunk), even if it senses a key outside of the car. My wife can't lock her purse in the trunk without giving her key to me unless the doors are locked first.

not to hijack the thread, but the smart key can be turned off. The instructions are in the owners manual, under smart key battery saving..or some such title.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
not to hijack the thread, but the smart key can be turned off. The instructions are in the owners manual, under smart key battery saving..or some such title.
Ya, but that implies her remembering that she has a smartkey in her purse for a car that she rarely drives.
If she remembered she had the key and couldn't drop her purse in the trunk, she'd just give me the key to keep in my pocket ;)

I could put the key to sleep for normal conditions, since she rarely if ever drives the Corolla, but when she needs to open the trunk, she usually has an armload and can't be fussing for the key to wake it up.
I called few lock smiths and one can make a door only key for $25.00 .
Awesome.
Not cheap, but I didn't expect that key to be less than $20.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,297 Posts
Are you sure about it because i also want a new key and if a locksmith can be able to provide it then i will call locksmith bronx ny experts to make one for me.
i've went to a locksmith to make spare keys for my parents lexus rx 350 and he was able to do it. Call up the local locksmith and ask.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts