Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Taco 4x4 with manual locking front hubs. I know better than to drive on dry pavement while in 4wd, but is it okay to keep the front hubs locked? This time of year, you never really know when the next country road might be covered in snow. I'm just wondering if I can keep the front hubs locked and then shift into 4wd as needed.

Sorry if this has been addressed on the forum before . . . I searched, but wasn't able to find anything.

Your help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
435 Posts
hubs

It wont hurt any thing but your axles will still be turning.I wouldnt shift it into 4wd while moving.It dosent turn it into a shift on the fly like the newer ones.Worst thing that will happen is it might eat up a little more gas.Your lucky I have the auto hubs!

·
Registered
2000 Tacoma 4x4
28 Posts
Your owners manual suggests driving with the hubs locked every 5000 miles or so to lube the front axle components. I always lock my hubs in when snow is in the forecast. As previously mentioned it will not hurt anything but you will be turning the front axles and differential so your gas mileage will decrease a little.

Jeff

thetooter said:
I have a 99 Taco 4x4 with manual locking front hubs. I know better than to drive on dry pavement while in 4wd, but is it okay to keep the front hubs locked? This time of year, you never really know when the next country road might be covered in snow. I'm just wondering if I can keep the front hubs locked and then shift into 4wd as needed.

Sorry if this has been addressed on the forum before . . . I searched, but wasn't able to find anything.

Your help is much appreciated!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts