Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1993 Camry XLE
93 CamXLE/73 Lincoln
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, on my 73 Lincoln I want to get a vanity plate by next summer. Now, I have already made up my mind on what it would say, thanks to Epinionator:thumbup: , but I have a question. Is it legal to have vintage plates on your car? A buddy of mine has a couple of 1973, same year as my car, license plates. Is this legal to do if you get like, permission or something? I thought it would be pretty neat, seeing as though I'm going to put the car in a few local autoshows either this summer or next.
Thank you, Will

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,630 Posts
If the car is registered for this year I don't see why you can't. My Cressida has the old Blue California licence plate & DMV has no problem with it.

If you still have doubts, just ask someone at DMV.

·
I am MAYHEM!
2002 Toyota Tundra
346 Posts
Maybe you could check your state's Department of Motor Vehicles (maybe called by a different name in some states) website and see what they say. Some states allow you to display a "year of manufacture" plate (a plate that was issued in your state the time your car was new) legally with proper registration stickers. Don't know if Montana is one of those states that has these plates or not... :dunno:

Or you could ask ASG14, TN's resident license plate expert. :cool:

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
Check with your local DMV office. I know around here you can have a Vintage plate issued for your vehicle if it's in top condition, in working order, built before 19xx (can't remember) and so on.

·
Still confused...
95 camry coupe v6
2,304 Posts
uhm... just if you go to shows, pop the vanity plate only at the show but for the street use regular plates maybe.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
84Cressida said:
If the car is registered for this year I don't see why you can't. My Cressida has the old Blue California licence plate & DMV has no problem with it.

If you still have doubts, just ask someone at DMV.
Yeah, but that's probably the original plate on the car. There's no point in updating the plate everytime they change designs. Doing so would be very wasteful considering how many plates would need to be replaced.

Come to think of the old blue and gold plates, I think I saw a late model Land Cruiser with one of those plates. It was personalized probably from a previous car and they probably got the DMV to let them use it somehow.

I would guess there're similar regulations in Montana.

·
1993 Camry XLE
93 CamXLE/73 Lincoln
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
95WhiteCamry said:
uhm... just if you go to shows, pop the vanity plate only at the show but for the street use regular plates maybe.
Oh no, I'm either going with a vanity plate or a vintage plate. I want to do the vintage plate but don't know the laws regarding them.
I'll contact the DMV too, thanks.

·
1993 Camry XLE
93 CamXLE/73 Lincoln
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody for the replies. I don't see why Montana wouldn't allow vintage plates, we don't even have to do emissoins testing.:lol: If anyone else knows anything about this, please, do tell. I'll pm ASG14 if he doesn't see the thread in a a day or two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts