Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i was in california working for a month and when i got home decided to race - bad idea considering racing with jett lag caused me to forget to shift lol kinda got caught up on that melodic bass. anyways to the point i snapped my timing belt and ended out ripping out the cams on the 3SFE as well as pulling the head and putting in a brand new head gasket - now i have to put the cams back in i have been told to put them in lining up the service marks and using the 0 setting on the timing gear - so that my exhaust valves will open first. but as far as tdc on the piston in cylinder 1 goes how do i set that? and any tips on the cam shaft alignment?

thx

·
Grenaded piston
7,447 Posts
deviouschild said:
now i have to put the cams back in i have been told to put them in lining up the service marks and using the 0 setting on the timing gear - so that my exhaust valves will open first.
Theres 2 sets of marks on the camshafts. The marks are on the gears.

Line up the cams by using the first set of marks.

but as far as tdc on the piston in cylinder 1 goes how do i set that?
Turn the crank pulley clockwise till the notch on the pulley lines up with "0" on the lower timing belt cover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dono which set. the marks on the gears on the camshaft is what i was talking about. then after the factory marks on the gears are aligned i was going to set the top timing gear at its set factory mark.

·
Grenaded piston
7,447 Posts

·
Grenaded piston
7,447 Posts
deviouschild said:
dono which set. the marks on the gears on the camshaft is what i was talking about.
Same here. :)

then after the factory marks on the gears are aligned i was going to set the top timing gear at its set factory mark.
Top timing gear?

You mean the camgear (timing belt goes around it)?

By the way heres instructions for installing the timing belt:

http://www.yotarepair.com/3S-FEtimingbelt.html

Disregard the part about making match marks.

Just turn the camgear till its at TDC (hole in camgear lined up with the mark on the bearing cap), #1 piston at TDC (notch on crank pulley lined up "0" on lower timing belt cover), install belt, tighten tensioner, rotate crank from TDC to TDC, and check alignment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.