Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's the skinny for you pros... I know that on a two cycle engine, they make this thingie called a Heal Boot(?) and what it does is allow you to fix a strip sparkplug hole. Is there such a thing to automotive engines?

And if not... I thought about sleeving a strip out hole with a blank hollow steel cyclinder that has been tapped for threads on both side, one for the block the other for the sparkplug, and re-threading the spark hole to fit the sleevs.

Anyone has any thought about this one? It will be applied to a 22re engine in a 4Runner. Too darn cheap to buy a head and can't find a shortblock in my price range. It will just be used as a daily driver with minimal engine stress.

-no idea why I press edit... eh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Helicoil Sav-A-Thread or

KD Tools Plug Rethread Kit - http://www.kd-tools.com/2125.htm

I've used both, the KD Tools kit tends to be more available from automotive parts stores, Ace Hardware may stock the Helicoil kits.

Helicoil taps the hole larger and you insert this spring coil.

KD Tools taps the hole and you insert this threaded tube. The kit should include a sort of thread locker compound for use on the outer threads on the tube. Once in a while, the insert will come out with the sparkplug when you replace it.

Make sure you get the proper length inserts to match the thread length of the spark plugs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts