Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a Tacoma in the near future (possibly this weekend). I have not owned a truck before but am looking for something with descent gas mileage and some kind of towing capability. Enter 2007 2.7L I4 Tacoma. I wanted to ask some that might have experience the following question:

Should there be any concern towing my sport bike (~400lbs) with the 4 banger?

I know 400lbs is chump change, but I wanted to get an idea for how true to the 3500lb towing capacity the Tacoma is (or the 1360 payload rating). Is it going to give me problems with the bike, the trailer and maybe some extras? How much can you "comfortably" put in the bed and/or tow with a trailer?

I just joined because I heard great things about this truck and my research has backed it up. Hopefully, a hands-on driving experience will further back it up :) Thanks to all in advance!

·
Official Misfit
1,453 Posts
i've hauled way more than 400 lbs. no problem

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, YOTA. Is that to say that you pulled the two four wheelers without it pulling too hard on your truck? I know when you get "towing packages" you get better cooling for the trans, etc. But if you say that you can pull two four wheelers on a trailer with the stock 2.7, I'm all in. How far did you tow, and any noticeable driving issues while trailering?

Any particular issues with trailering stuff due to ride height, etc? I suppose if I were to ramp my bike up on the bed, I would have to get one of those tailgate fence dealies because my bike is 84 inches long.

·
Man in Blue.
923 Posts
Go for the 4litre v-6 you won't regret it!!!
Exactly. The MPG difference isn't big enough to really worry about. Depending on what you get (manual or auto) it's anywhere from 2 to 5 mpg. While 5 is a little high, the added power while towing will be so worth it.

toyota has better financing offers on 08's than they do 07's right now.
I know... I'm hoping that they keep the rates the same for next month when I sign the paper work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I did notice that about the financing. Luckily I'm buying a cheap enough truck that I can pay it off within a few months so as to not worry too much about interest. Just one of those things where I found a good used truck for a pretty good price. Do what ya gotta do.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Exactly. The MPG difference isn't big enough to really worry about. Depending on what you get (manual or auto) it's anywhere from 2 to 5 mpg. While 5 is a little high, the added power while towing will be so worth it.

I know... I'm hoping that they keep the rates the same for next month when I sign the paper work.

yeah well i bought mine a month too early :sosad:

·
jpspartan09
08 Tacoma
454 Posts
go ahead and get the 4.0L V6!!!! more power; you won't regret gettin it!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts