Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Vendor
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fact that you have to lift a 1200 lb. Cummins engine out of a 3rd gen Ram to change the oil pan gasket due to the welded crossmember.
Modern diesel trucks are tough to work on because the engine compartments are so packed. There seem to be a lot of cab-off and engine-out repairs.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Vega engines. Corvair swing axles. WW2era Nash head gaskets. First model small block chrome moly rings in cast iron bores. Glued in windows (rust). GM V8 engines with aluminum block and cast iron heads 4.9 litre. Pot metal radio knobs (Ralph Nader). First Subaru with $874 knuckles (2) and $375 axles (2) on a $2375 dollar car. Water based automotive paint.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
My worst was my '72 Dodge Colt's heater hoses that chafed going through the firewall, leaked, resulting in overheating and cracked cylinder head. Every head I pulled on a '72 Colt was cracked in the same place. Used to have a machine shop in the neighborhood that would fix them for less than $50.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Chevette or shove-it, you could tell how many miles it had by how much negative camber the front wheels had.
The ford pickup that came to the dealership where I worked, start it and in a minute it had a substantial puddle of oil under the bellhousing, Pulled the flex plate and there was a hole drilled into the main oil gallery, with a note. You found it you SOB. One week before a strike, sabotaged.
Mazda RX2 first commercial rotary engine, in the US, weighed as much as my Echo and got a whopping 13.5 MPG, until it started puking all the oil out the tailpipe and got a new engine at 13k miles, not much better than the first one.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
2,022 Posts
VW EA113 2.0T (FSI turbo and TSI): tappet cam follower for the HPFP. it wears out prematurely, which can cause destruction to the camshaft leading to costly repairs.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 XLE ICE engine
332 Posts
Mazda RX2 first commercial rotary engine, in the US
Mazda R-100 was the first rotary engine model sold in the U.S.-- a true POS! The apex seals on the rotor would fail about every 5000 miles. It took the dealers about two hours to pull the engine; disassemble and replace the seals, and reinstall the engine. I got three free warranty rebuilds before I sold that lemon. There was a class action lawsuit and about 10 years later Toyo Kogyo Ltd that owned Mazda sent me a check for about $2000. This was in the 1980s.

·
Registered
179 Posts
German Electronics; they seem to fail so early in life and cost a fortune replace. Often, a software update to the car is required just to make the electrical part work. Some BMWs even have to have the battery's Electronic Serial Number uploaded to the ECM for the car to even start.

·
Vendor
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VW EA113 2.0T (FSI turbo and TSI): tappet cam follower for the HPFP. it wears out prematurely, which can cause destruction to the camshaft leading to costly repairs.

Unfortunately, VW doesn't seem to be alone. That seems to be a common issue with a lot of the newer HPFPs. :(

Mazda R-100 was the first rotary engine model sold in the U.S.-- a true POS! The apex seals on the rotor would fail about every 5000 miles. It took the dealers about two hours to pull the engine; disassemble and replace the seals, and reinstall the engine. I got three free warranty rebuilds before I sold that lemon. There was a class action lawsuit and about 10 years later Toyo Kogyo Ltd that owned Mazda sent me a check for about $2000. This was in the 1980s.
The apex seals were still a huge problem on the RX-8. Mazda is talking about possibly producing a hybrid with a rotary range extender. If they do, it will be interesting to see if the apex seals are still an issue.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts