Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FLIP'N THE G-5 WHIP
2005 Black Camry
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S~ all. which is the best compound, or polishing compound to buy over the counter to use to remove car paint scruffs, scratches, etc...? which is the best product and brand to buy? they come in various product names these days. should one just get plain compound or polishign compound? got a few marks from other cars would like to get off, no dents, just the paint is marked and scruffed up... thanks for any feedback.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
I like 3M Perfect-It III Compound.

·
I do all my own stunts
561 Posts
In the past I've typically used the Macguires 3 step polish system.

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
Depends how you plan on aplying it rico. Is it by hand? Or by machine? Also depends how harsh of a degree you need. I've always gone with meguiars just becuase its easily found and woprks great. Other products i haev tried with my buffer are einzett products with great success. it also depends how bad the scruff are...

·
Toyota & Scion Sales
2000 Echo
114 Posts
RICO8458 said:
S~ all. which is the best compound, or polishing compound to buy over the counter to use to remove car paint scruffs, scratches, etc...? which is the best product and brand to buy? they come in various product names these days. should one just get plain compound or polishign compound? got a few marks from other cars would like to get off, no dents, just the paint is marked and scruffed up... thanks for any feedback.
I am sure you can not go wrong with any of the main companies. California Gold, Macguires, Turtle Wax, and so on .. all have specialty products. Their websites are great, most have guides so you know what is for what. There are basic non-abbraisive scratch removers, all the way to speciality compounds - and products for all the materials as well, inside and out.

·
Toyota Collector
12,034 Posts
I've had great success with Mcguires products (spelling?) especially the paint cleaner. If you use the 3 step process it can totally revitalize a poor finish and remove scratches, paint transfer etc.

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
Those 3 step systems...aren't always great...they are meant for cars with decent paint. The usually use cleaner waxes which aren't that much of a help in sandind down imperfections. I would recomend doing by hand jsut a light abrassive like meguairs fine cut and swirl remover and just rub the area in parallel to the flow of the car. following that i would use some type of carnauba....something to keep in mind is that in the detailing world many like to use synthetic wax as the base wax..and top off with carnauba. The idea is to make a shinny coat with the snythetic and a deeper look with the carnauba. BUt IMHO for something of that nature you might as well bring it to a detail shop for them to do that one spot. For the money, it would be better to go that route as by trying to remove the scuff by hand might take a lot of work just to get a very small portion off.

·
Don't get mad. Get even.
a Toyota camry, daaa
1,778 Posts
I believe there is a forum for this, but what a heck since I'm here
In your 05 camry you can use #80 from Meguiar's or the 3 step system would work as well, all depends on how bad the surface is...

With this you can't go wrong:

Wash your car
Clay bar to remove above surface contaminants and restore the surface of your paint.
Wash car again and dry.
Tape all moldings and plastics with blue tale
Deep crystal step 1 Paint cleaner or #80 speed glaze to clean imperfections and ScratchX if needed
Deep crystal step 2 Polish to bring back the color (apply and remove)
Deep crystal step 3 wax for proteccion, 1 coat (apply and let dry, remove with microfiber)
NXT or Gold class liquid wax as second coat (apply and let dry and remove with microfiber)

All Meguiar's products, easy to find on any part's store, if you don't have a Dual action Porter Cable machine you will need good arms to apply the #80 or the Scratchx (you may need a few passes od Scratchx to remove the scratches, all depends on how hard your paint is).

TIP: Do a 1/4 of a panel at the time with the #80, Scratchx and polish, as for the wax, you can do the whole car and let it dry a least 1/2 hour or more, depending on the weather.

then step back and enjoy the reflection

Click to enlarge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts