Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m asking as I got lightly t boned on the pax rear door so wouldn’t be awfully surprised if something is showing up 6 months later. It got the rear door sill crushed, busted the rear wheel and tire. $7000 fix by insurance. It was fixed by decent body shop who seemed to do a great job and has 1000 miles since on it. It had no pulling swerves or any other issues I could see since .
I just noticed lately a tad of a swerve on the arse end when the wife was driving . It was like your typical pissed off wife driving when she did a gentle correction. Weird and seemed like the back. Then I noticed it driving myself. Once in a while it was like the arse end was playing catch up. I jacked the tire pressures up from 38-41 and it seemed to go away.

Then today I crossed a small creek bridge with a landing that came off a bit diagonal and took it at an good clip. The back end seemed to try to swerve then snapped right back. It sort of felt like going into a hard curve and having the rear end catch black ice for a second. That’s the best description I have.

I am not much up on 4 wheel independent suspension. This is the first car I’ve had with it and my only experience prior was some squirrely adventures with M 151 Jeeps when I was in the army. Those things did some weird gyrations on bumps as well. Those were downright deadly on the highway.

So what might I be looking at / for on that rear suspension? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
8,384 Posts
If it's in the rear, the only thing I can think off is trailing arms. One may be slightly bent or have bad bushing, resulting in out of kilter rear end. They could have compensated it in alignment, but it shows itself in odd situations.
Place your hands, flat, palms down, about 8 inches apart. Then, move R forward some, while L is moved back some. Then, do just opposite. That's what rear end is doing. Trailing arms are supposed to control that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas . I’ve done a lot of suspension work just not on this style. It doesnt look to be all that strong to me . I’ll have to Jack it up and see just what’s what on that side that was hit. I do know the forward arm was crunched as it was obvious at the time of the wreck. I never even thought anyone would think of straightening a stamped steel (sheet metal ) arm. I get it though being insurance. Thanks again for the ideas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts