Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a routine oil change ('96 toyota corolla 1.6L), the mechanic
suggested that I have my cracked exhaust manifold changed.
Replacements costs were about $430 (parts + labor). I did some rate
shopping for parts online and with the toyota dealers. The dealer parts
were approx. $250 (manifold & gaskets). Autozone was about $120.
What about online (aftermkt) parts? The site mentioned these parts with
and w/o the oxygen sensor? Does the '96 corolla need one?

http://www.shop.com/op/sprod-0-0-...anifold-k24-g1-_1996+corolla+exhaust+manifold

Are the autozone parts just fine?
I just trying to save some serious $$$ ...any pointers will be very
very helpful.


/Nach
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> During a routine oil change ('96 toyota corolla 1.6L), the mechanic
> suggested that I have my cracked exhaust manifold changed.
> Replacements costs were about $430 (parts + labor). I did some rate
> shopping for parts online and with the toyota dealers. The dealer parts
> were approx. $250 (manifold & gaskets). Autozone was about $120.
> What about online (aftermkt) parts? The site mentioned these parts with
> and w/o the oxygen sensor? Does the '96 corolla need one?
>
> http://www.shop.com/op/sprod-0-0-...anifold-k24-g1-_1996+corolla+exhaust+manifold
>
> Are the autozone parts just fine?
> I just trying to save some serious $$$ ...any pointers will be very
> very helpful.
>
>
> /Nach
>


The easiest way to tell whether your car has the oxygen sensor mounted in
the exhaust manifold is to open the hood and take a look. If you see a
cylindrical object with wires sticking out of the exhaust manifold, then it
has an oxygen sensor. No wires - no sensor. If your car has a heat shield
over the manifold, you might want to get a new one because the old one is
probably rusted on.

I am not familiar with any of those aftermarket parts so I do not know
whether they are find or not. Besides durability, the other consideration
is fit.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Ray,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply. I did not notice anything sticking off the
> manifold ..so I guess no o2 sensor? :)
> Do you suggest I just stick with the dealer parts ..are the ones from
> Autozone recommended?
>
> Thanks,
> /N
>

If there are no electrical wires sticking out of anything attached to the
exhaust manifold, then there is no O2 sensor there.

As far as whether you should stick with dealer parts or aftermarket parts...
You know from experience that the OEM exhaust manifold will probably last at
least 10 or 11 years. I do not have any experience with Autozone or any
other aftermarket exhast manifolds so I have no idea how long they will
last. They may last longer than OEM or they may have a shorter life. An
advantage to buying auto parts over the counter is that returning or
exchanging them is less hassle than returning internet parts. As long as
the aftermarket parts have a decent guarantee, I'd use aftermarket on an 11
year old car.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

> Ray O wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> > During a routine oil change ('96 toyota corolla 1.6L), the mechanic
>> > suggested that I have my cracked exhaust manifold changed.
>> > Replacements costs were about $430 (parts + labor). I did some rate
>> > shopping for parts online and with the toyota dealers. The dealer parts
>> > were approx. $250 (manifold & gaskets). Autozone was about $120.
>> > What about online (aftermkt) parts? The site mentioned these parts with
>> > and w/o the oxygen sensor? Does the '96 corolla need one?
>> >
>> > http://www.shop.com/op/sprod-0-0-...anifold-k24-g1-_1996+corolla+exhaust+manifold
>> >
>> > Are the autozone parts just fine?
>> > I just trying to save some serious $$$ ...any pointers will be very
>> > very helpful.
>> >
>> >
>> > /Nach
>> >

>>
>> The easiest way to tell whether your car has the oxygen sensor mounted in
>> the exhaust manifold is to open the hood and take a look. If you see a
>> cylindrical object with wires sticking out of the exhaust manifold, then
>> it
>> has an oxygen sensor. No wires - no sensor. If your car has a heat
>> shield
>> over the manifold, you might want to get a new one because the old one is
>> probably rusted on.
>>
>> I am not familiar with any of those aftermarket parts so I do not know
>> whether they are find or not. Besides durability, the other
>> consideration
>> is fit.
>> --
>>
>> Ray O
>> (correct punctuation to reply)

>
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:55:52 -0800, shettync wrote:

> During a routine oil change ('96 toyota corolla 1.6L), the mechanic
> suggested that I have my cracked exhaust manifold changed.
> Replacements costs were about $430 (parts + labor). I did some rate
> shopping for parts online and with the toyota dealers. The dealer parts
> were approx. $250 (manifold & gaskets). Autozone was about $120.
> What about online (aftermkt) parts? The site mentioned these parts with
> and w/o the oxygen sensor? Does the '96 corolla need one?
>
> http://www.shop.com/op/sprod-0-0-...anifold-k24-g1-_1996+corolla+exhaust+manifold
>
> Are the autozone parts just fine?
> I just trying to save some serious $$$ ...any pointers will be very
> very helpful.
>
>
> /Nach


I only buy on-line as a last resort. If it doesn't fit or has a problem,
the onus is on you to get it back to the vendor.

It may cost a bit more to buy it locally, but if there is a problem, you
go back to the store!
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Hachiroku ????" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:55:52 -0800, shettync wrote:
>
>> During a routine oil change ('96 toyota corolla 1.6L), the mechanic
>> suggested that I have my cracked exhaust manifold changed.
>> Replacements costs were about $430 (parts + labor). I did some rate
>> shopping for parts online and with the toyota dealers. The dealer parts
>> were approx. $250 (manifold & gaskets). Autozone was about $120.
>> What about online (aftermkt) parts? The site mentioned these parts with
>> and w/o the oxygen sensor? Does the '96 corolla need one?
>>
>> http://www.shop.com/op/sprod-0-0-...anifold-k24-g1-_1996+corolla+exhaust+manifold
>>
>> Are the autozone parts just fine?
>> I just trying to save some serious $$$ ...any pointers will be very
>> very helpful.
>>
>>
>> /Nach

>
> I only buy on-line as a last resort. If it doesn't fit or has a problem,
> the onus is on you to get it back to the vendor.
>
> It may cost a bit more to buy it locally, but if there is a problem, you
> go back to the store!
>


Quite right, Hachi, and I'd hate to be the guy paying for an exhaust
manifold sent by UPS ...or FEDEX! (and both ways if it doesn't fit!)
>
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:27:19 -0800, "mack" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Quite right, Hachi, and I'd hate to be the guy paying for an exhaust
>manifold sent by UPS ...or FEDEX! (and both ways if it doesn't fit!)
>>


You want to see a BIG Fed Ex bill?

I sent my Canon 5 D camera and an expensive
zoom lens to Canon for repair....

Value of the shipment?

5000....


--

Scott in Florida
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> During a routine oil change ('96 toyota corolla 1.6L), the mechanic
> suggested that I have my cracked exhaust manifold changed.
> Replacements costs were about $430 (parts + labor). I did some rate
> shopping for parts online and with the toyota dealers. The dealer parts
> were approx. $250 (manifold & gaskets). Autozone was about $120.
> What about online (aftermkt) parts? The site mentioned these parts with
> and w/o the oxygen sensor? Does the '96 corolla need one?
>
> http://www.shop.com/op/sprod-0-0-...anifold-k24-g1-_1996+corolla+exhaust+manifold
>
> Are the autozone parts just fine?
> I just trying to save some serious $$$ ...any pointers will be very
> very helpful.
>
>
> /Nach
>


Autozone grrrr.

Autozone! Radiator cap split the seam open on my radiator's top tank 3 miles down the road.
Autozone! Smashed wheel bearing grease seals pressing them in the old seals without hurting the old seals.
Autozone! There best brake pads were so far from the correct size one fell off driving. (don't sell oem sized)

Guess I should say that most parts I have bought there worked. But don't expect quality parts.

Dan
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed ..they are a discount parts store.
I'm considering Autozone only for the $ factor ..I dont think my old
toyota is worth the OEM

Danny G. wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> > During a routine oil change ('96 toyota corolla 1.6L), the mechanic
> > suggested that I have my cracked exhaust manifold changed.
> > Replacements costs were about $430 (parts + labor). I did some rate
> > shopping for parts online and with the toyota dealers. The dealer parts
> > were approx. $250 (manifold & gaskets). Autozone was about $120.
> > What about online (aftermkt) parts? The site mentioned these parts with
> > and w/o the oxygen sensor? Does the '96 corolla need one?
> >
> > http://www.shop.com/op/sprod-0-0-...anifold-k24-g1-_1996+corolla+exhaust+manifold
> >
> > Are the autozone parts just fine?
> > I just trying to save some serious $$$ ...any pointers will be very
> > very helpful.
> >
> >
> > /Nach
> >

>
> Autozone grrrr.
>
> Autozone! Radiator cap split the seam open on my radiator's top tank 3 miles down the road.
> Autozone! Smashed wheel bearing grease seals pressing them in the old seals without hurting the old seals.
> Autozone! There best brake pads were so far from the correct size one fell off driving. (don't sell oem sized)
>
> Guess I should say that most parts I have bought there worked. But don't expect quality parts.
>
> Dan
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top