Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I am soliciting unbiased opinion on your cars.

Let me explain why.
I own a Camry Hybrid that I am selling.
I considered Scion xD/Fit as alternative, as I do drive alone. My week day commute is 62 miles, mostly FWY. We go shopping once a week and then I may, or may not have spouse with me.
I am 6'5'' and very broad shouldered.

1. I test drove Fit and though I fit in very well, I did not like acceleration and howling engine. Ton of cargo space though.
2. I drove xD, and per comparison with Fit, it was much peppier. Sitting - not so good. Seat is too far forward, or dash is too close to knees; also, infamous door handle design digs into the left knee and it may be a hurdle during long commute. Otherwise, I am OK with car.
3. Same sales guy who showed me xD, talked me into trying iQ. Here surprises started. Well, it's very cute; out of all cars, it was the most comfortable sitting, as in - VERY comfortable. Thing has ton of room for 2.
Of course, I was not impressed by cargo space, but it could do.
Now, here's why I am seeking feedback. I drove the car, 2 adults, grand total 410 lbs. I read that car drones with CVT, and it does. It was the most sluggish out of 3 I tried. And it was expectedly so, as it also has the smallest engine.
Well, until sales guy told me to put shifter in S mode. That's where I became very surprised. She had very nice acceleration better than Scion, in S mode.

Let me ask you this. Do they all come with S mode? How long can you keep her in S mode? I am mostly coasting, I have very good hypermiler habits off my Camry Hybrid. I could use S for quick bursts, but then go into regular D.
Also, what is it about cruise control? They do NOT have CC? I must have one, as my commute is average 3 hrs a day, so CC is a must.

Once again, please, try to be unbiased. I know how car owners are, they always side with their car, no matter what.

Thank you.

·
2,667 Posts
Thats a hard question to answer.
I've never driven a Fit so I don't have an opinion other then I know Honda makes a reliable vehicle, just as toyota does.

I'm a fan of Scion but i know what you mean about your knee with the xD. I'm a tall person and I have that issue with my Echo and on long hauls, it is a problem. You say you can find a way around it but it WILL irritate you to no end and you'll end up not liking the car because of one thing.

I like the iQ but haven't driven it long distances or even on the interstate so i don't know how it handles wind buffeting. I would assume that like my Echo, it is VERY susceptible to wind buffeting so long commutes in it might become an annoyance or even tasking over a short period of time.

It appears as though you are looking for a small hatch of some kind. Have you tried driving a Yaris hatch? Darned close to the xD and a little cheaper and better on fuel. Smaller than the xD but larger than the iQ. I'm not sure if they come with cruise though......The Yaris uses a 1.5 but because they're so lite, they're quite peppy. :)

·
11,331 Posts
This is pretty easy

XB, It's roomy, cruise control standard (2nd Gen) relatively quiet.

2.4 may not get the best mileage, but its highway fuel mileage is not that much less than the other cars you're considering, and the extra power is reassuring for those long commutes.

By the way, in the Oct 2013 issue of Motor Trend which was their new car issue, when they had the section on the xb and xd, under the xd, they suggested getting the xb instead.

·
Official TN Lurker
849 Posts
I believe CC would be pretty easy to ad as long as its an option on the iQ, Meaning buy one without cc then buy the cc stalk and just plug it in like most other toyotas. although with that small of a car I would be worried about safety but thats just me.

+1 on the prius c! I looked into them when they first came out when I was shopping. if I had the money I would probably buy one as a around town car. I've always like the prius line.

·
Registered
57 Posts
With a 62 mile highway commute, I would look for a used TDI, you may pick up deal with the current sh*t storm. Your commute is what diesels are meant for. Put it 6th and watch the car eat up the miles and swear the fuel gauge is broke. All highway with cruise control at 70 and 45+ mpg is easily done. I use to do regular trips from LA to San Francisco and LA to Portland, the only annoying thing about long trips in a TDI is its 3-4 pee stops before the car actually needs to stop.

Deisel not your thing, how about a used Prius? I would take one of those over a new Prius C, Yaris or IQ. Hertz sales sells 2 year olds with about 40K for $12-14K.

I don't get the Smart or the IQ. Sure an under powered for putting around city and small for easy parking but way over priced for that use. They are way under powered for highway commuting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have previously owned the smart (both generations, gas and diesel) before trading it in for a 2014 iq, my opinion is that the iq smokes the smart in all aspects, with the exception of highway fuel economy compared to the diesel, although I have not test-driven the new 453 model, I thinks its a great car in town however my opinion would be something bigger on the highway, strictly for comfort, I use my iq as my daily driver, have had it on the highway, installed cruise control and love it, however, the ride over time can be a bit squirly, feels like the bumps are going down your brain leaving a slight dizzy feeling, did install the rear stabilizer bar bar which helped, recommend like above forum members mentioned either diesel vw or prius, if you decide on the iq, take it for a good long test drive,
my 2 cents.

·
11,331 Posts
Hi all.

I am soliciting unbiased opinion on your cars.

Let me explain why.
I own a Camry Hybrid that I am selling.
I considered Scion xD/Fit as alternative, as I do drive alone. My week day commute is 62 miles, mostly FWY. We go shopping once a week and then I may, or may not have spouse with me.
I am 6'5'' and very broad shouldered.

1. I test drove Fit and though I fit in very well, I did not like acceleration and howling engine. Ton of cargo space though.
2. I drove xD, and per comparison with Fit, it was much peppier. Sitting - not so good. Seat is too far forward, or dash is too close to knees; also, infamous door handle design digs into the left knee and it may be a hurdle during long commute. Otherwise, I am OK with car.
3. Same sales guy who showed me xD, talked me into trying iQ. Here surprises started. Well, it's very cute; out of all cars, it was the most comfortable sitting, as in - VERY comfortable. Thing has ton of room for 2.
Of course, I was not impressed by cargo space, but it could do.
Now, here's why I am seeking feedback. I drove the car, 2 adults, grand total 410 lbs. I read that car drones with CVT, and it does. It was the most sluggish out of 3 I tried. And it was expectedly so, as it also has the smallest engine.
Well, until sales guy told me to put shifter in S mode. That's where I became very surprised. She had very nice acceleration better than Scion, in S mode.

Let me ask you this. Do they all come with S mode? How long can you keep her in S mode? I am mostly coasting, I have very good hypermiler habits off my Camry Hybrid. I could use S for quick bursts, but then go into regular D.
Also, what is it about cruise control? They do NOT have CC? I must have one, as my commute is average 3 hrs a day, so CC is a must.

Once again, please, try to be unbiased. I know how car owners are, they always side with their car, no matter what.

Thank you.

What did you finally settle on?

·
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's OLD post. I kept Camry Hybrid and - ha ha - she is up for sale again. We bought property truck, and I have Highlander Hybrid as commuter with good mpg. So she has to go. I am not considering a non hybrid.
The only car I may possibly consider in the future will be full electric.

·
11,331 Posts
That's OLD post. I kept Camry Hybrid and - ha ha - she is up for sale again. We bought property truck, and I have Highlander Hybrid as commuter with good mpg. So she has to go. I am not considering a non hybrid.
The only car I may possibly consider in the future will be full electric.

That's cool. Thanks for the update.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts