Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if a busted transmission mount could be at fault for causing steering wheel vibrations at about 100km/h (60 MPH) and up wards??????

If so........is there any way to check the transmission mounts....to see if they are alright or not?

I have a 2000 Corolla.......4spd auto......

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You think this vibration is because you're in 4th gear or just at high speed? In my opinion, a busted anything mount can be the cause of vibration anywhere.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Usually, feedback though the steering wheel is cause by having an improperly balanced tire. I would check this first. If you have gone over a large bump and knocked a wheel weight off (or bent the rim), it would definitely cause what you are describing. A tranny mount could be at fault, but the Corollas seem to have a lot of redundant engine/tranny mounts to begin with. I doubt a break at one of them would cause too much trouble, but it is possible. It is more likely that one of them is just loose, if the problem is in fact a tranny mount. The only real way to check them is to get under the car and lift up on the engine/transaxle assembly with a prybar or jack while looking at the mounts. Any cracks or breaks will be obvious. I seriously doubt that a tranny mount would break after only four years, as they usually succumb to age rather than mileage. Have your wheels balanced if you have not already. Chances are that will solve the problem. Good luck!:lol: Regards, Aaron

·
Registered
37 Posts
lol... i was lucky... my car only slightly vibrates at upwards of 80-85mp/h. it's like a warning sign to slow down when im on the freeway =D...

yes sir, check your tires and tire pressure.

also, does it vibrate when braking?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got wheels balanced twice, aligned once @ toyota.........still wanna check rims........when i bought the car it seems that these rims are 14 but they are definently not toyota........these are kinda old and rusted and stuff.........also could be bent?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts