Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new car, and I was wondering how you guys like your 8th gen Camry Hybrid. Specifically, I'd like to know:
  1. What's the mileage on your Camry Hybrid?
  2. Do you have an LE, SE, or XLE trim?
  3. What's your average mpg, and do you do more city driving, highway driving, or a mix of both?
  4. Have you run into any major issues yet (e.g., engine, electric motor, transmission, hybrid battery)?
  5. Have you had to replace your hybrid battery yet, and if so what mileage did you replace it at?
  6. What other non-preventive maintenance have you had to do?
  7. Overall, how satisfied are you with your Camry Hybrid?
  8. Other thoughts?
This will really help me with my research. Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new car, and I was wondering how you guys like your 8th gen Camry Hybrid. Specifically, I'd like to know:
  3. What's your average mpg, and do you do more city driving, highway driving, or a mix of both?
  4. Have you run into any major issues yet (e.g., engine, electric motor, transmission, hybrid battery)?
  5. Have you had to replace your hybrid battery yet, and if so what mileage did you replace it at?
  8. Other thoughts?
2019 TCH XLE
14,000 miles

45 mpg (manually calculated) over 14k miles. Mixed driving.
Recently got 51.0 mpg in LA on surface streets and highway.

Only problem has been two rattles. One is the piece in the center of the dash that abuts windshield. Closed cell foam wedged between panel and windshield resolved it. Second rattle is from the headliner just behind the sunroof. It was fixed once but returned. Dealer said it is a loose clip. Happens when closing any door.

Pearl white with beige interior. It’s beautiful.

The hybrid system makes the car very smooth. It handles very well for a big, heavy family sedan. I think the weight in the rear helps balance the weight distribution. The 360° camera is awesome.

I love the car except for the seat and low ride. The car is so low it’s difficult to get out, especially when parked next to a curb. However, the seat is the killer for me. The padding is too hard, the seat base is too short, and the seat back lacks support. No one in my family finds them comfortable.

We are currently in the middle of a two week road trip and I am conflicted. The car is a great cruiser but it’s very uncomfortable to sit in.

When the Venza comes out next month I will consider it as a replacement for my Camry.

Long story short, go for a long drive before you buy.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,854 Posts
Have you run into any major issues yet (e.g., engine, electric motor, transmission, hybrid battery)?
Have you had to replace your hybrid battery yet, and if so what mileage did you replace it at?
The hybrid system that the Camry uses is extremely reliable. You aren't likely going to find too many people experiencing problems with 2018, 2019, or 2020 Camry Hybrids... at least not with the hybrid components. There are still lots of 2007-2012 Camry Hybrids driving around with lots of miles on them with their original batteries. My wife's has 180,000 miles on it and it's been 100% reliable with no unexpected repairs. There are people who have many more miles than that and they are still going strong. Toyota offers a very good warranty on the hybrid components so you should be set for quite a long time unless you put tons of miles on each year. 2020 models come with a 10 year, 150,000 mile warranty for hybrid components.

Note that Toyota puts nickel-metal hydride batteries in the SE and XLE trims. That's largely the same type of setup that has powered the Camry Hybrid since it originally came out in 2007. Extremely reliable but it uses older technology.

The LE model uses lithium-ion batteries that are far more efficient and hence allows the car to get noticeably better mileage, but it's newer technology and therefore the long-term reliability is slightly less certain. That said, Toyota has put a lot of their reputation into their hybrid technology, so I imagine that they spent a lot of time ensuring that the lithium setup performs as well- if not better than the older type battery over the long haul.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi all,

8. Other thoughts?

1. 25,000 and 1,500 miles.
2. SE and traded in for a 2020 XLE.
3. Average is 46 in both cars. I do more city driving.
4. No major issues.
5. No. 2020 has a 150k battery warranty.
6. None.
7. Very satisfied, after all, I bought one after another.
8. Wish the infotainment display was more modern like and tablet style. I also would have liked cooled vented seats standard in an XLE, and some rear usb ports beneath the air vent. I have seen dealers in the south off this as an add on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts