Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all...

I'm new to the forum. Many years ago I owned a '94 2wd 4 cylinder Toyota truck. I'm now looking at purchasing a '95 supercab DX 4 cyl. 5 speed 4x4 with 112,000 miles.

The clutch and the timing belt are original on the truck...obviously it is an old vehicle and anything COULD go wrong on it. That being said, is it safe to assume that those repairs are realistic to expect in the near future?

Anything else I should know about this particular year/model?

Thanks.

·
Yota Meister
1989 Pickup 4x4
291 Posts
I would expect the clutch, but I am not sure how often the timing chain needs to be replaced. You shouldn't have many problems with that truck.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
That's a great truck. I know because I have the same one. :D

Clutch is probably fine for another 50k as long as the person that owned it knew how to drive. When I had my first motor swapped out at around 140k the guy said I still had about 40% of my clutch plate left and I was hauling a boat with mine for the last 20k (probably what killed it).

As for the timing chain, I would expect the drivers side timing rail to already be broken off and possibly be letting the chain rub the timing cover. Mine was at about that mileage. Let me ask you this, when you start it on cold mornings does it go tick, tick, tick, tick, then quieten up?

If it does that's the chain hitting the cover until the tensioner pumps up. I suggest upgrading the timing kit with a steel backed drivers side rail like in the engnbldr kit. The piece of mind is worth it but it's an expensive job to have done, or a time consuming one to do yourself.

Besides that its a great truck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts