Toyota Nation Forum banner

Questions about buying OEM Toyota oil filters for my 01 5SFE

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  beaming62 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I must confess that I have never bought OEM filters for my 01 5SFE. But now that I have used up all my Frams, Purolators and even some M1s, it is time to buy filters. Surprisingly, it seems to me that buying OEM filters are not expensive at all. Look at here 10 for $45 and free shipping.

The sellers are all Toyota dealers somewhere. So this should be legit right? Buying Denso from RockAuto seems cheaper, but shipping kills the deal. Can anyone see anything wrong with buying from Amazon?

I know buying 10 at a time seems a bit dumb, given that my car might be junked before the filters are used up. But anything else? The part number is 90915-YZZF2.
This is the correct part number, right? I searched on toyodiy, but I could not get a clear answer. Thanks for the help!

#3 ·
I been using the filters used for the 2AZFE (90915-yzzf1) in my 5SFE and 1ZZFE application without issue AFAIK as I bulk buy like 20+ for the fleet I have. So far even used it in a 2SE and seems to be OK.

#4 ·
I use the mid-level Purolator filter the PL14476. They are $8 at Advance Auto and if you order it online and pick up in 30 minutes you can save $2 which brings the filter down to $6 which IMO is not bad and the Purolator filter is well thought of on this web site. The NAPA Gold oil filter and the Wix oil filters are also well thought or although $2 to $3 higher per filter. There's no need to mail order oil filters and have way more than you need when you can buy them locally and still save money.

#5 ·
What I am thinking is that OEM parts typically come with them a pretty hefty markup. In this case, if OEM filters can be had for merely $4.5/each, does that mean it is going to be worse than an aftermarket filter that costs $4.5 each?

I am asking because right now there are two filters at this price range. Both from well known manufacturers. K&N and AC Delco

If logic works as usual here, shouldn't these be better filters? Any opinions? Thanks.

#6 ·
What I am thinking is that OEM parts typically come with them a pretty hefty markup. In this case, if OEM filters can be had for merely $4.5/each, does that mean it is going to be worse than an aftermarket filter that costs $4.5 each?

I am asking because right now there are two filters at this price range. Both from well known manufacturers. K&N and AC Delco

If logic works as usual here, shouldn't these be better filters? Any opinions? Thanks.
AC Delco is not the company it used to be. Their filters are just standard, run of the mill filters, no better than WalMart's Super Tech filter, which actually isn't a bad filter for the price. K&N filter, although known for good quality is really a filter designed for racing, which allows for more oil flow. The racing people don't care that much about filtration; they're more interested in oil supply. I wouldn't use it for a regular car.

Some say the OE Toyota/Denso filter isn't really anything special. Yes, usually OE parts are more expensive. In the case of the cheap filter, it could be one of those situations in which the Toyota dealer doesn't really make that much of a profit on its oil changes. The philosophy being to get the customer to come back for other repairs for which the dealership then gouges the customer. Don't give the customer a reason to go to an independent shop to do an oil/filter change, and then get their other repairs done at that shop, when the dealer can do it with OE filters/oil for the same price, or even less. It can be seen as a marketing scheme.

Similar situation at Costco food court. They sell a larger, quality hot dog and drink for $1.50. Any other place would charge twice or more for the same thing, or even an inferior thing. I don't think they're making a big profit, if any, on that. It's to keep people in the store so they will buy more stuff. Why let them get hungry only to leave to go to a fast food place and then not want to come back to the store to finish their shopping?

#7 ·
10 years ago at 200,000 I also thought, why buy bulk parts for this car it could die next year. 10 years later and at 340,000 I have stopped thinking that way. I also didn't have the AC updated to (or from) R12 when I first got the car at 125,000 for the same reason. I should have updated the AC day one and had working AC for 15 years. If the car does die unexpectedly I might be out $20 in filters, oh well. I have reordered the 10 pack three times so I am OK with the chance I might be left with a few unused some day. I buy the 10 filter pack from conicelli Toyota. They are a dealership somewhere but I found them from their Amazon store front. Their philosophy is, sell the filters cheap to get customers who might add on to their order. At $4.50 a filter from a car manufacture who designed the engine that has 340,000 with no non wear item maintenance it is an easy choice. I know they don't actually make the filter but if they can design an engine this long lasting I trust their engineers choice in oil filter specs and manufacture.

#10 ·
Hi guys, I must confess that I have never bought OEM filters for my 01 5SFE. But now that I have used up all my Frams, Purolators and even some M1s, it is time to buy filters. Surprisingly, it seems to me that buying OEM filters are not expensive at all. Look at here 10 for $45 and free shipping.

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

The sellers are all Toyota dealers somewhere. So this should be legit right? Buying Denso from RockAuto seems cheaper, but shipping kills the deal. Can anyone see anything wrong with buying from Amazon?

I know buying 10 at a time seems a bit dumb, given that my car might be junked before the filters are used up. But anything else? The part number is 90915-YZZF2.
This is the correct part number, right? I searched on toyodiy, but I could not get a clear answer. Thanks for the help!
I

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

[/URL]

I just bought my second case of 10 only I use 90915-YZZF1's because they are a little taller. Work great on my 2000 Camry. Only use about a half quart between 5000 mile oil changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.