Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
JDM 93 Toyota Mr-2
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was wondering if i was to put N/A camshafts in my car will it make a difference and what will be the advantages and dis-advantages ? my engine is a 3sgte abd would like to know which cams will be good to put in !!

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,044 Posts
why on earth would you you want to do that?
proper cams can bring more HP. keeping intake valves open longer and/or higher lift to let in more air and fuel. and the reverse for letting out spent gases for an uncontaminated mixture after exhaust stroke.
but i don't understand the n/a cam swap??? are they even swapable?

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
NA's have two cams that are powered by one pulley. The intake cam spins the exhaust cam via gears inside the head. I don't think Jesus himself could fit them into a 3sgte. Unless you are talking about 3sge cams.... but still.... WHY!!?!?!

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
i have heard that OEM 3SGTE and 3SGE cams are identical. it is just what i have heard and could be bogus information. what i DO know, is that often, n/a camshafts have MUCH more overlap than boosted cams. in general, you use different cams (or at least cam timing) for n/a and boost.

-Mike

EDIT: ishcoleobo, a good friend of mine lived in canyon country. we used to run canyons together all the time. i miss those roads... :( NE is flat, haha.

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
numbone said:
cams is an upgrade a 3S definately would love. the powerband in midrange and top end of the stock motor is lacking in my opinion.
most of the torque dropoff is due to the restrictive stock turbo. there are people running 8000rpms on stock cams. cams definitely HELP with top end, they allow you to run less boost and still be efficient, but they're not totally necessary.

-Mike

·
Now with even more BOOST
279 Posts
NESW20 said:
i have heard that OEM 3SGTE and 3SGE cams are identical. it is just what i have heard and could be bogus information.
You are correct, (kind of). Toyota uses the same cam blanks for the GE and GTE engine. They used the same cam blanks in the GEN I GEN II and even GEN III 3S-GTE but that is where the simularity ends. The blanks are machined with different durations lifts, degrees etc... So, the profiles are completely different in different versions of the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.