Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'93 2WD Pickup
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal. I've got a 1993 2WD Pickup with a 22RE. I've been to LCE's website and seen the K&N filter, but think charging a $100+ for that plastic bracket is bullsh*t. What I would really like to do, is swap the location of my battery and the MAF, so I can remove a large portion of the intake plumbing. Has anyone done this?

Secondly, I'm curious as to weather there is larger, less restrictive MAF I can bolt up.

I'm a noob to the site, so any tips would be great appreceated.

·
Official Saipan Member
Hilux
1,019 Posts
Yeah ive done it before. Your gonna need a filter changer beacuse the stock airbox wont clear the hood. your gonna need new battery cables like 6-7 feet. One problem u may face is extending the maf wire to the other side. What i did was cut the sleeveing and take the wires out then seal that bad boy back up again. From what ive read/heard old supra MAFs bolt up i think 82 im not too sure. Good luck though

·
Registered
'93 2WD Pickup
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rogerman said:
Yeah ive done it before. Your gonna need a filter changer beacuse the stock airbox wont clear the hood. your gonna need new battery cables like 6-7 feet. One problem u may face is extending the maf wire to the other side. What i did was cut the sleeveing and take the wires out then seal that bad boy back up again. From what ive read/heard old supra MAFs bolt up i think 82 im not too sure. Good luck though
Hmmm, swapping to a supra MAF sounds good. I checked online, and I can't find a picture of a MK2 Engine bay that shows it bolted up. Do you know if it uses an airbox or a cone?

As far as re-securing the MAF and Battery to the body, did you have any problems?

·
Official Saipan Member
Hilux
1,019 Posts
well the intake part is easy no worrys about securring but the battery was not secured i was just bored and decided to project my intake lol. To tell u the truth i havent seen a supra maf on a hilux in real life so im not too sure how it looks.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
i had actually contemplated doing that with a maf i saw a guy in her who had his truck riced out on car domain . he has a post in here about transmission minning 4th gear. look at his car domain link and youll see the setup your lookin for in one of his pix. i think its something like mr beefy, too lazy to look right now. if you want to eliminate the maf completly look into megasquirt. youll like it. also as for mods for a power increase try a cam and a header. the first bolt ons i would add. if you want to add even more build a polished and ported head with the oversize valves. after all the engine will only breathe as much as it needs unless you run boost, which would entail forged internals. its all about the money , especially at lce they are rediculous on prices. but i will say they are about the best for the r series but you can achieve the same shit they have with alot less cash. find a local shop and check ebay and summit racing and also import performance parts

·
Registered
'93 2WD Pickup
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
subliminaltrips said:
i had actually contemplated doing that with a maf i saw a guy in her who had his truck riced out on car domain . he has a post in here about transmission minning 4th gear. look at his car domain link and youll see the setup your lookin for in one of his pix. i think its something like mr beefy, too lazy to look right now. if you want to eliminate the maf completly look into megasquirt. youll like it. also as for mods for a power increase try a cam and a header. the first bolt ons i would add. if you want to add even more build a polished and ported head with the oversize valves. after all the engine will only breathe as much as it needs unless you run boost, which would entail forged internals. its all about the money , especially at lce they are rediculous on prices. but i will say they are about the best for the r series but you can achieve the same shit they have with alot less cash. find a local shop and check ebay and summit racing and also import performance parts
Thanks for the info. For now all I plan on doing is making the ignition/intake/exhaust systems more efficient, and then adding a cam. If I get ambitious later on, I might build a low boost setup, but nothing beyond that. I did some reading about megasquirt, and the tuning process seems a little above my skill level. Could you give me some more info on your experience with this system?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.