Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gang, having had my gen3.5 for about two months now I must say I'm mostly pleased with it. However, there are a few issues I've noticed that perhaps y'all could help me with.

1.) Is it me, or does the 5S-FE seem to run a little rougher than the 3S-FE that preceded it? I know it's a larger motor, and big fours do tend to run a little rough, but that's what balance shafts are for. Also, if any of you know what I'm describing, the valvetrain makes a good bit of noise above 3000 RPM it's like I'm driving a diesel. At 155K, and this might be a dumbass question, should I consider a valve adjustment or should I learn to live with it? I think a good part of it is because I'm mistakenly running 5W-30 in it this time (I just assumed that's what it used... then I read the oil cap...), and since it's thinner than the 10W I'll run next time you hear more stuff than before.

2.) This is the first car I've had where all the power accessories work, so imagine my surprise when I went to roll up the windows at night and all the interior lights dimmed! I assume this is normal? (Flame at will... I'm a big boy...)

3.) Although the car has had a full tune-up, at very light (like 1/8) throttle in pretty much any gear the car feels like it's bucking ever-so-slightly. I don't believe I'm bogging it, and it's usually around 2K-2.5K I feel it. Any ideas? We ran injector cleaner in it as well as TB cleaner at the time of the tune-up. Maybe Seafoam?

4.) Who makes a stereo install kit for our cars? I got the Scosche version from WalMart... needless to say... I want my fuggin money back:D My Pioneer looks like shit just sitting in that hole...

Thanks in advance, and keep in mind I'm not hating on the car (like I said, I'm mostly pleased), but I try to keep my cars in top running condition at all times, and I don't think it's in top running condition at the moment.

Steve

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
seafoam rocks!!!
and also check your engine mounts those also cause a little of the bucking. well with the seafoam buy about 2 cans of it and just go a little overboard with the stuff. after a nice round of that it should get a little more quiet. i'm not sure on that engine but timing might be a little issue as well with the higher rpm noise if it has a distro then retime it. if it has a timing belt look at changing that (made my 1mz a good bit quieter)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts