Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie here to both this forum and Tacomas. A quick background... I have a 2006 Tacoma on special order. It is a 4x2 with 4 cylinder automatic. I'm also getting the SR5 package, 16" wheel upgrade, and towing hitch (Class II). This will be my daily commuter truck and occasional hauler (like dirtbikes) on weekends.

Now for my questions... since it has been on order for a few months, I started second-guessing myself on not getting the VSC option. I would appreciate it if you would provide me any feedback about the VSC. For those of you with a similar truck to mine, do you have any issues driving in snow or rain without the VSC? If you have the VSC, does it interfere with your driving too much? I heard some complaints about it engaging at inappropriate times like trying to merge and robbing power/causing hesistation. Also, on the automatic transmission, the VSC option also includes the hill start assist control. I heard this engaging at inappropriate times like trying to go in your driveway. Why is hill assist even on automatics? I would think it should be manuals only.

Sorry for all of the questions. I think the VSC would be a nice feature to have, especially the limited slip differential. Unfortunately, there is no deactivation button for the system (which is why I did not order it). :disappoin To be honest, all I really want to have is just the limited slip differential. Can just this feature be special-ordered without the rest of the VSC package?

I have been driving a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with Quadra-drive. I didn't have to worry about traction with that system, it was pretty much idiot-proof. :) This Tacoma will be my first pickup truck and would like a better understanding of what I'm getting into (driving wise). Any recommendations?

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
You can absolutley get the LSD without VSC. In fact, that's what I have. I have had no difficulty driving off road (just muddy roads) or in the rain. To me, VSC is just another option to seperate you and your money... I see no use in it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
VSC is hard to find. If you search you'll find a few threads on this.

VSC and systems like it are relatively new, but there is mounting statistical evidence that it does help prevent serious accidents - esp in SUVs. It is designed to interfere only when it senses things like your rear end coming around in a slide. Because of this it will interfere when people are off-roading or joy riding and WANT their rear end loose. Our 4runners VSC has never engaged, but I'm not an off roader. In the 4runner you can turn it OFF if you want - and I assume the same is true of the Tacoma. Hill start assist (in my 4runner) is something that is only active if you turn it on - shouldn't be a problem.

I'm no expert, but I suspect one wouldn't notice much difference in daily driving with a vehicle with or without stability control regardless of road conditions. It would only be in the rare instances that things got really dicey that VSC should kick in. Hopefully you never need it, but if you do - hopefully you've got it. Kind of like an air bag. I wish you could get the full complement of those in the Access cab.

People like to think they are good enough at driving so they don't need this sort of stuff. I work with people everyday whose lives were ruined because of what happened in a fraction of a second. Most of 'em seem like they were probably good drivers. I'm not to proud to think VSC might be a good idea - but I suspect you'll find that's a minority opinion here.

TL

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nomad,

I noticed you had the Double Cab. The brochure shows it is an option for you, but not for the 4x2 Access Cab.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tsl90 said:
In the 4runner you can turn it OFF if you want - and I assume the same is true of the Tacoma. Hill start assist (in my 4runner) is something that is only active if you turn it on ...
From what I read, the Tacomas do not have an on/off switch for the VSC. I'm surprised since the 4Runners apparently do. :confused:

·
3SGTE & 1GRFE
MR2 Turbo, Taco Dcab
793 Posts
tsl90 - i completely agree with you. VSC is an *awesome* safety device for most people out on the road today. it is amazing some of the things systems like that are capable of. i did not personally want VSC on my Tacoma (partially due to $$$), but that is my personal choice, i still think it's a worthwhile system for most people.

-Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone else have experience with the VSC (or without it). I would like to hear about your driving experiences. Is the 4x2 without VSC a handful in slippery road conditions?

·
KBultaco
05 tacoma 4x4 lb
95 Posts
I have VSC on my 05 DC LB. There is no switch to disable it. I think when I put my truck into 4wd the VSC is disabled. One rainy night on the interstate, traffic had stopped in front of me, I braked hard on a curve, The rear of the truck started to swing out but came into line. I felt the ABS kick in and do its job. I think the VSC came on but I'm not sure. The dashborard lit up and I almost peed my pants.
I stopped in time.
Kbulll

·
Registered
375 Posts
kbultaco said:
I have VSC on my 05 DC LB. There is no switch to disable it. I think when I put my truck into 4wd the VSC is disabled. One rainy night on the interstate, traffic had stopped in front of me, I braked hard on a curve, The rear of the truck started to swing out but came into line. I felt the ABS kick in and do its job. I think the VSC came on but I'm not sure. The dashborard lit up and I almost peed my pants.
I stopped in time.
Kbulll
As I understand stability control systems, this is the only sort of situation when you should even know they're there. The car doesn't "drive" any differently regardless of weather conditions, but if the traction control/ABS info makes the computer believe that things are about to get very ugly it straightens you up by applying the correct force to the correct wheel.
TL

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
We've become so complacent in our driving that we rely on computer aides to help us in dangerous situations. You don't NEED a calculator to do math, so you don't NEED VSC to drive in inclement weather.

Take classes, and learn how to control all types of vehicles in all types of inclement weather. I think that's the best way to approach something like this. Being a better driver overall is something I'll take over computer actuated stability, traction, and skid control.

You can't beat a computer's response, but you also shouldn't have to rely on electronics either.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
456 Posts
hmm. what happens if you steer out of a tail slide and vsc is activated? does vsc stabilize the rear end faster or counteract what you are doing?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I completely agree that no one should rely on a computer (or anything else) as a substitute for safe driving. I think it is unrealistic to suggest that there isn't a benefit to a system which can monitor things like this and respond much faster than even the best driver.

I suspect there are times when a stability control system is counterproductive. In general I think they are designed to complement and respond to what the driver is doing so it's probably unlikely that they could cause a real problem. I think there could be those who complain that when they are offroading etc the system interferes. In any event, I think the potential benefits far outweigh any potential risks.

It is a complex thing to study, but so far the data reinforce the use of these systems. Not sure if insurance companies are reflecting this in their rates yet, but I suspect they eventually will.

TL

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got the VSC/limited slip diff option on on 2wd prerunner. My thinking was to not get 4wd for snow (I never offroad) but instead get the VSC/limited slip diff option to help in snow for the 15 days out of 365 that it actually snows here.

So far it has worked very well. I get back and forth to work. The VSC keeps me going straight and the limited slip diff gets me going forward when there is deep or slippery snow. All in all, it serves my purposes for much less $ than 4wd.

I do wish it had an off switch for the VSC. There is an off switch for the LSD.

JD

·
HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!
948 Posts
jdvailco said:
I do wish it had an off switch for the VSC. There is an off switch for the LSD.JD
I have the regular LSD and there is no switch. LSD is there full time. You might be thinking about the e-locker option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for your feedback guys!

91MR2 does bring up some valid points. The VSC won't help the worst drivers. However, I have been debating a similar situation as jdvailco. I didn't want the 4x4 option due to poor gas mileage and extra maintenance. Since I won't offroad my truck, the VSC might provide a nice compromise. I will check with my dealer to see if it is available. It may be too late anyways since my truck has been on order for awhile.

·
abdiver
2004 4runner V8 AWD
84 Posts
VSC is avail for ordering

Matt R said:
Thanks for your feedback guys!

91MR2 does bring up some valid points. The VSC won't help the worst drivers. However, I have been debating a similar situation as jdvailco. I didn't want the 4x4 option due to poor gas mileage and extra maintenance. Since I won't offroad my truck, the VSC might provide a nice compromise. I will check with my dealer to see if it is available. It may be too late anyways since my truck has been on order for awhile.
I also have a 06 pre runner Xcab on order and it is with the VSC option, I have the 04 4runner with it and it has come in Very handy a few times, on snow and wet roads.

consumer reports recommend it for all cars/trucks.

2006 Tacoma PreRunner | Access Cab | V6 Auto | TRD Offroad | Towing Package | silver with VSC

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
Guys with VSC... when driving on snow covered roads, does the 'slip' or 'trac' light flash like a christmas light? Just wondering. Reason I got the TRD sport was to get the mechanical LSD. Way I look at it, I love to drive, want the truck to do want I want without a nanny on board. North country VSC = set of snow tires...

·
Registered
153 Posts
nomad said:
I have the regular LSD and there is no switch. LSD is there full time. You might be thinking about the e-locker option.
On the SR5 that I drive, there is an on/off switch for the LSD. Its an LSD system based on activating brakes to slow the spinning wheel and transfer power to the other wheel. It is not an LSD based in the rear diff.

JD

1 - 18 of 18 Posts