Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i recently bought a used corolla from my old boss. its a 1993 corolls with 134k miles on it. my questions are, why dont i have an rpm gauge and how would i know my rpms,also why is my tank on E after around 250 miles. shouldnt i be getting more? also when i make a right hand turn i hear a scraping on my left front side. also when i accelerate i hear a pop.lol and also when i try to start my car when its been sitting itll seem like it dont want to start then eventually does btu it does not do it when its warmed up. please help me =). p.s ive already changed the oil filter and spark plugs to NGK sprk plugs.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Or possible motor mounts..

Get an aftermarket tach if you're that worried or goto a junkyard and find a corolla same model with tach..

Try cleaning on the throttle body and also the IACV. Just some carb cleaner and an old told brush to clean the throttle body and plate.

·
Proud 93 Corolla owner
Corolla 93
675 Posts
about gas mileage, 250 miles to empty a tank seems extreme, normally i drive more like 500 or so before reaching the fuel light not even the E.

check your driving habits

·
Registered
398 Posts
I usually get a tad bit past 300 in city driving.

·
You asked for it...
407 Posts
.. i drive more like 500
I assume that's KM's? joseph is in Florida, so he's talking miles. Still, 250 sounds pretty low, although he doesn't say how much gas he puts in or what the mpg is.

Like justin, I get about 300 - 330 before filliing it up. The mpg is usually around 30 or better.

·
Proud 93 Corolla owner
Corolla 93
675 Posts
the odometer is in miles so 500 +/- combined city/highway driving

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
the odometer is in miles so 500 +/- combined city/highway driving
I find this a little hard to believe, though in ideal conditions with conservative driving (which is kind of hard around here given I need to Rev the engine to get up a fair number of very steep hills) I get around 325 miles (25mpg), but that is closer than I like to push it due to my inconsistent fuel gauge. Average mpgs for these cars should be around 25 if it is maintained. There is no way they can get 38mpg even with the manual. My driving is mainly short trips and highway driving, without any real heavy stop and go, but I also have a 3 speed versus the 4 speed or stick shift. I am also fairly close to sea level, about 300 feet above.

TS, if it is hard to start after it has been sitting, what do you mean by "hard to start"? Does it crank but not turn over? Does it sound weak? Nothing at all? I also assume when you say sit it means about a day. Be sure you gapped your spark plugs correctly.

·
You asked for it...
407 Posts
TI-CAVA - so you're getting 40 MPG combined, in your Corolla?

Sorry, for the thread hijack, but I would love to know what you did to your car to achieve that figure. The best I can do on the highway is about 35, so 40 seems fantastic.

·
Registered
1997 Corolla CE
160 Posts
I assume that's KM's? joseph is in Florida, so he's talking miles. Still, 250 sounds pretty low, although he doesn't say how much gas he puts in or what the mpg is.

Like justin, I get about 300 - 330 before filliing it up. The mpg is usually around 30 or better.
Yep. 250 miles sounds really low.
My 1997 (1.6L 5-spd) averages 33 MPG or better and ranges between 350+ to 360+ miles before filling up.

To get 500 miles on a tank full, TI-CAVA's car must have a larger fuel tank or the 500 is in kilometers.
I don't think I could get 500 miles on mine. It might be possible if I not run my A/C and draft behind an 18 wheeler while driving solely on the highway.
Now, if I take the 500 and convert it from kilometers to miles that comes to about 310.685 miles or close to 30 MPG. That would sound more reasonable.

JT

·
Vivir el momento
Corolla
18,784 Posts
It's not entirely impossible to achieve that figure, but the circumstances to do so are quite difficult to duplicate if you're living in a major city. I was on a long road trip last summer with another friend who was second driver in the Corolla and my best tank topped out at a little over 42mpg, which gave me a theoretical range of about 550miles. 100% highway driving. We averaged close to 40mpg for the entire trip.

The key is to not stop at all, I remember that we were driving for close to 10 hours straight (after we filled up completely) until the fuel light came on. We still drove almost another 100 miles before finally deciding to stop for gas. We drove at night because there was very little traffic on the roads and we didn't use the brakes at all. We were averaging 70mph the entire way. Kept the RPM's as low as possible. Coasted down steep grades, applied gas gradually. Nothing special done to the car at all, I just kept on top of all maintainence before we left.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get around 36 to 41 on the hwy, I drive a lot of hwy and when I drive from one gas stop to another I get about 40. Also I try to coast down hills in netural and coast to stop lights. As far as the car all maintance is done and a bottle of gas treatment every oil change.

·
Proud 93 Corolla owner
Corolla 93
675 Posts
hi 2 all, now that i`m back from my vacations i can share my fuel tips ;)

A: don`t make hard accelerations or for too long "more than 3 secs is a waste of fuel"

B: Drive behind a truck or an SUV or something big enough to disrupt the air in front of your car, thus reducing Drag, reducing the power needed to maintain a certain speed, the result better MPG!!!

C: anything over 55 MPH will increase your drag to double or even quadruple values.

Relationship to velocity

It is well known that the frictional force of aerodynamic drag increases significantly with vehicle speed.[1] As early as the 1920s engineers began to consider automobile shape in reducing aerodynamic drag at higher speeds. By the 1950s German and British automotive engineers were systematically analyzing the effects of automotive drag for the higher performance vehicles.[2] By the late 1960s scientists also became aware of the significant increase in sound levels emitted by automobiles at high speed. These effects were understood to increase the intensity of sound levels for adjacent land uses at a non-linear rate.[3] Soon highway engineers began to design roadways to consider the speed effects of aerodynamic drag produced sound levels, and automobile manufacturers considered the same factors in vehicle design.
From wikipedia ;)

D: Drive in the correct gear when Taking-off, when cruising choose 5th gear so less RPM less fuel spent.

E: Remove Rain Guards, they increase drag, also the front Registration plate must be offset from the center or tilted downwards to reduce drag.

F: check your tire pressure. Rolling resistance is reduced if properly inflated, less force spent carriyng the tires, just weight not useless drag.

G: Weight check, remove all unused items, ALL OF THEM!!!

H: Spare tire: deflate and carry a foot pump, saves as much as 50% weight.

I: Tools, take only what you really need... more steel more power for dead weight.

J: COAST WHENEVER YOU CAN!!!!!!

K: A/C compressor is always taking power away so ON or OFF, is the same thing

thats my secret try it and comment your results

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
okay well i put 20 bucks worth of gas and it gives me a full tank. when i reach about half a tank my miles are already at 180. but after that it just sucks it down. maybe a problem with my fuel injectors. and when i say sit i mean for months. and when i say try to start it turns over for about 4 seconds then finally cranks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts