Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
first time on the forum - and i'm ready to learn! Anyway, I am looking to buy another Yaris but I'm not sure what to look for. My first vehicle was a 2008 Yaris and she went over 300k miles and from what the current owner tells me, she's still driving. I made the mistake of transitioning from a Yaris to a Volkswagen and regret it.
What problems does the 2015 Yaris normally have? And can I expect it to last as long as my 2008 Yaris? I had no major problems the whole time I owned the vehicle, I'm looking for a vehicle that will offer a similar experience because I'm a college student.
I've been looking for another car and spotted a used Yaris online. I found one that seems to be a good deal, the catch is that it was in an accident labeled as 'moderate'. It had a rear impact that left the vehicle unable to drive (it was towed away), but this accident occurred 4 years ago. It has about 75,000 miles, what should I expect to have to fix in the next few years if I buy it?
Thanks all in advance for your time and help!

·
Registered
2004 Echo RS
30 Posts
I know that at one point Toyota started using a Mazda engine in the Yaris. If your plan is to keep the car for a long time - I would double check to see who manufacturers the engine and transmission. I know that the Mazada engine is decent but it isn't as good as the Toyota engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that at one point Toyota started using a Mazda engine in the Yaris. If your plan is to keep the car for a long time - I would double check to see who manufacturers the engine and transmission. I know that the Mazada engine is decent but it isn't as good as the Toyota engine.
dabrows,
How would I go about checking it? Basic google searches aren’t panning out for me. On the CarFax it just says 1.5L I4 F DOHC 16V.

·
Registered
2018 Yaris LE hatch, 2020 Yaris LE hatch
81 Posts
In the USA, the 2012-18 Yaris hatchbacks were the same basic design as the 2007-11, with updated features and styling. The 2016-19 Yaris [nee Scion iA] sedans, and 2020 hatchbacks, are based on Mazda 2. Toyota owns part of Mazda, and collaborated on the design.

But, one reason I got an '18 vs. a '20 was the front driver seat is less roomy in newer ones.

·
Registered
279 Posts
If it's the Mazda Skyactive engine, like Toyota's 1NZ-FE, it should last many hundreds of thousands of miles (300k+). Toyota would not source Mazda engines <or re-badge a Mazda produced car) unless they, (Toyota engineers), thought it would be a really reliable engine to put in--"worthy" to put in a Toyota <even if made by Mazda> , as they would see it--And so far that engine does seem to be very reliable. We'll have to wait a few years until we get stories from the 300k, 400k, 500k club. I looked and I couldn't find any on the iA specifically--But I would have full confidence in that motor, like the 1NZ-FE, until I hear reports/patterns otherwise.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree, some think Mazda still uses Ford platforms and parts. I think Mazda is better than Honda, with their oil dilution issues on new Civics, and junk transmissions in 00's Accords/Odysseys.

·
straight cash homie
20,356 Posts
I agree, some think Mazda still uses Ford platforms and parts. I think Mazda is better than Honda, with their oil dilution issues on new Civics, and junk transmissions in 00's Accords/Odysseys.
Mazda does not use Ford platforms anymore.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think Toyota owns a small part of Mazda, small around 5%. But I bet that within that 5% Toyota and Mazda have shared R&D.

·
Registered
81 Posts
People on Yaris World site don't acknowledge the latest generation, and make all the claims of "it's a Ford", etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts