Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Info about my car: Toyota Camry 2003 (Gen5), not sure what kinda radio unit, but it's the basic one with 1 cd, no changer.

My mission: to use digital out from my radio to ipod with a cable. FM transmission doesn’t work at all!

My Dilemma: I purchased a Axxess Ipod Digital Interface by Metra Electronics Corporation, for my 2003 Camry 5Gen. I ran into a slight problem. The product I purchased from CircuitCity was for 2004+ Camry. But I decided to be daring and took out my radio unit to take a look. (They don’t sell one for 2003, and taking it back and getting another isn’t an option anymore)

Taking out the radio unit for the first time wasn't too easy, not knowing what to expect, but big thanks to Dj-torn (thank you thank you thank you!) for this tutorial (with pictures and everything, very clear instructions that made it all so easy) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/799301/6
(Dj-torn, hope you don't mind me sharing).

Now, I ran into a problem. I'm not sure where to plug the harness.

Please see pictures here:
http://maiaccount.biz.tc/

My questions:
1) What are the functions of the 3 jacks in the back of the radio unit?
2) Is my theory correct? What about the colors of the cable B? The original Toyota cable does not match the colors on the interface (the 12 pin cables), is that normal?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try this

In your picture, the two plugs are part of a cable that you can disconnect. Try that.

The interface cable actually has three adapters, not just the two in the picture. They are part of a Y adapter that works with the newer radios, and that adapter can be removed. That adapter for newer radios is already attached, but you can take it off. I'm not sure if that one will fit, but it's worth a try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the picture of the two plugs are actually of the cable that is supposed to plugged into the interface box. One side, not pictured, gets plugged into the interface box, whereas the other two (pictured) are supposed to be plugged into the radio somehow. And my question rests in that "somehow", how or more specifically, where?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I updated the page and added more pictures of the product. Perhaps it'll be more clear to the reader.

http://maiaccount.biz.tc/

rwjcpa: i'm not sure what you mean by the "two plugs are part of a cable that you can disconnect". They're of the same cable, one is male and the other is female. and, yes, you're right, it's part of a Y cable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the essexx actually does not work with 2004

The ipod interface is for 05-and up models, the plug that has nothing in it is cd-changer input, which has been changed in 2005 and the essexx plugs directly to cd-changer input and no where else. I actually bought a 05 head unit, but I still have some problems:
1. once pluged in the controlls on iPod do not work so you should controll everything from your stereo.
2. that wouldn't be a problem if you could easily access your mp3s on iPod. I am able to access 2 folders, there is certain way that you ahve to organize your mp3s in iPod in order to work ok, I think they have to be all in your play list, or may be you shouldn't have any playlist, I am experimenting, but I didn't get it to work perfectly yet, I wish i could retain the ipod controlls.
Hamid
ignore the typos

·
Registered
67 Posts
Note: This interface requires disconnecting the factory CD changer or satellite tuner in order to access your iPod.

i have a JBL factory system with 6 cd changer in my 05 camry SE. if i use something like this..can i still use my cd player??

thanks guys.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ok i just bought and installed the USAspec auxillary input interface on my 2005 camry JBL INDASH 6 CD CHANGER. works perfect. :)

when i took my radio apart there were 3 ports. gosh i cant remember now

one had an cable going into it (composed of 2 or 3 tiny wires..i figured it was for the steering wheel control)

2nd was a thicker cable..that i figured it was going to the amp for speakers.

third there was a port open.

ok. sorry if i am confusing but in the black cable pile..do u see see the adapter (red, yellow wires). i connected that end to the cable right above it. so now i have a split cable. one is a female and other is a male. so i just connected the female version into the radio. and voila. CD1 shows up.

i placed the interface in the glove compartment and routed the RCA cable to the center console. very clean looking. cant even tell if theres a cable going from the glove box to the console. i hid it under than plastic that covers the carpet in the middle area. ask me for pics if ur confused.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts