Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, some of you know that i've been busy working on some custom boxes for my subs. Well, i pretty much have the first one built. I left some space in the middle to put an extra battery (if needed).

My question is, what battery is the best to get? What wires do i need to connect the system battery to the car battery?

In case you guys are wondering why i'm gonna put an extra battery, it's cause i'm gonna run 2-10" JL w3v2's powered by an alpine 500 mono amp @ 2 ohms and 2-10" JL w6v2's powered by an alpine 1000 mono amp also @ 2 ohms.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i run two batteries, does that mean i would have to get a tougher alternator that can handle more power? or can i just have a regular alt.?

i gotta know so that way i know what alt. to pick up for my new V6 engine:D

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
well you have to get an isolator and a bunch of other crap to wire it up correctly, otherwise the batteries will "fight" to get charged and this usually ends up in a broken electrical system. Basically, it's not worth doing.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so how would i be able to isolate the system battery. will it charge automatically when the car battery is on if i run wires from battery to battery?

·
Registered
Highlander
1,721 Posts
If you had done some research on battery isolator, you'd know what it does. When the car is running, both batteries get charged, once car is off, the isolator (a big relay) switches so only the secondary battery would be used for the stereo, while leaving the main one unused except for stock electrical system.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I opted not to do a second battery, but i have another question concerning connections of the subs.

With the 10" JL w3v2's, which would be better for me, parallel/parallel, or series/parallel?

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Well your running 1500 watts, that is what I am running right now, 1200 to 1 ID Max Sub and 300 to my iridiums, I upgraded my alt to a 180amp, put in a High output battery SVR (killed the stock one) and upgraded the big 3. I recommend the big 3 first, if you still get dimming, upgrade the bat, dimming still? upgrade the alt, by now you should have no or minimal dimming.

To run your subs at max your subs need to be 10W6D2's run each sub in series and then wire the two in parallel, this will give you a 2ohm load.

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
W3v2 10" subs are 300 watts each. The amp i have has a total of 900watts max. It says in the booklet that if i ran the amp at 12v., I can get up to 400watt x 1 channel at 2 ohms.

Does this mean that i can do a series/parallel connection and run the 2 subs with the amp that i have now? For those who don't know, i have a MRD-M500 Mono amp from Alpine.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Im confused, are you running 4 tens? your post says your running W3's and W6's so which is it? I was running 3 10W3 with a 1500 watt amp and they handled the power just fine, I kept the gain a little lower cause 500watts rms to each sub is the max those W3 will take.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.