Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Toyota Camry Vienta CSi
Toyota Camry Vienta
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys.... Im planning on changing my spark plugs, along with changing my valve cover gaskets as the rear one has a seep (and I want to see the condition of my engine), my intake manifold gasket (I have to take this off obviously, and the old one seems to have something leaking around it) and Im also going to do a compression test just to see the condition of my engine... I have a few questions though:

1. With the compression test, it looks to difficult to do it with the intake on, is it possible to do it with the intake off... Im guessing it would just suck air in from where the intake usually connects to the engine? So it should be ok (obviously being careful that nothing goes down their)?
2. Today I took 2 spark plugs out just to have a look at them and make sure I have all the tools for the entire job, and when I tried to start the car there was no power at all. I didnt take off the negative terminal while doing my work (my Haynes manual didnt say to, usually it does when you are meant to so I just assumed not to worry about it!), and when I eventually took it off and then put it back on... the car started as normal. Im alittle confused... I had taken a single plug out before with no problems, does anyone know why this occured? Im hoping I havent stuffed something up!!!
3. I looked down the spark plug tubes that I have undone, and what Im obviously assuming is the piston that I can see down their.... is extremely dirty, it has alot of crap on it! Im a noob, is this normal!?!? The car is a 3VZ-FE with 100,000miles on it, or so the guage tells me, not sure if this is normal as a car ages or whether I have a problem...

Any help is APPRECIATED :thumbup:

·
Toyota Camry Vienta CSi
Toyota Camry Vienta
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Anyone!?!?!?

Im particularly interested in an answer to the second question about no power... yesterday the car again had no power at all this time after doing no work on it, but after detaching and then reattaching the negative terminal it started.... which has me really confused as to why taking off the terminal would do anything, my only thought is its resetting the ECU so its ECU related however looking at wiring diagrams from the starting system (I am really a noob at electrical stuff) I dont think it could be the ECU :confused: :ugh3:

Also, the thing is when it doesnt start, it intially has power to the dash etc at least but when I turn the key it goes.... maybe someone can diagnose this based on this fact? And strangely it didnt have any power yesterday after 7hours between driving but today with 12 hours it was ok... so Im really lost as to the problem

PS I have checked all fuses, this is not the problem.... also its not a loose terminal either, it is secure

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
1,058 Posts
The next time it does this, try to twist the terminal with your hand instead of removing it. My guess is that there is a problem with the cable itself or the battery terminal itself.
FWIW
YMMV

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Run the enigne until warm. Pull the EFI fuse, pull the upper intake manifold & all plugs.
Be sure to watch the needle too. You should build steady compression over atleast 6 rotations to top it out.
And if you pull the upper itnake manifold off. You don't have to worry about blocking the throttle plate open. ;)

Ofcorse it's solid black with carbon. ;) It burns junk in there! LoL! :D

When you get i t back together, install / run water injection, or seafoam it several times in arow.

·
Toyota Camry Vienta CSi
Toyota Camry Vienta
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The next time it does this, try to twist the terminal with your hand instead of removing it. My guess is that there is a problem with the cable itself or the battery terminal itself.
Hmmm ok, I will try that... it seems like it couldnt be to many other things, like if it lost power completely and wouldnt start again Id be really worried but the fact that by removing the terminal it starts again suggests you may be onto something. Thanks :thumbup:

Run the enigne until warm. Pull the EFI fuse, pull the upper intake manifold & all plugs.
Be sure to watch the needle too. You should build steady compression over atleast 6 rotations to top it out.
And if you pull the upper itnake manifold off. You don't have to worry about blocking the throttle plate open. ;)
Thanks for that! I was thinking the same thing as well, it eliminates the need to keep the butterfly valve open... also means I can kill four birds with the one stone.... compression test -> spark plug replacement -> Valve Cover Gasket replacement -> Intake Gasket replacement:whatwhat:

Ofcorse it's solid black with carbon. ;) It burns junk in there! LoL! :D

When you get i t back together, install / run water injection, or seafoam it several times in arow.
Lol yeah I was kinda thinking that about the carbon, its just I got alittle worried seeing these repair manuals with the pistons perfectly clean... albeit they are newer cars, but still!!! I also had a look at my mums car today which she has had since day 1 and serviced at every interval, and it has the same look as mine, so I was kinda re-assured. As for seafoaming it, I will do that... although with an Australian equivalent as they dont sell seafoam in Aus :disappoin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts