Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I know a lot of you might already know how to check for blown fuses on a vehicle, but I figured I'de write this up for the people who might not know.

When you are checking for a blown fuse, instead of pulling each and every fuse out and checking it.. All you have to do is grab yourself a test light.

1. put the clamp side of your test light on the negative (-) side of your battery and Touch the end of your test light with the metal tip onto your possitive side (+) to confirm that your light works still.

---- if it works then continue to step 2. If not, replace the bulb in your test light!

2. Disconnect the clamp side off your negative post on your battery, and find a good ground in reach of what fuses your trying to test.

3. Touch the metal tip side on either side of the fuse. (there is usually a number 5, 10, 15, etc.. ---- right on the left or right side of where your number is you can see a small piece of metal showing on either side)

As you are touching the metal pin sticking up off the fuse, check to make sure the test light is lighting up.. If it lights up then check the opposite pin. If that lights up, then the fuse is good! If only one side lights up then your fuse is blown more than likely.

Some fuses need you to turn on cetain things before voltage will go through the fuse. Refer to your fuse diagram before pulling the fuse and see what controls each fuse. You might have to turn something on to check for voltage

Additional Safety Note:

MAKE SURE NOT TO BRIDGE THE FUSE . AKA: TOUCHING BOTH SIDES OF THE FUSE WITH THE TEST LIGHT . THE VOLTAGE WILL BRIDGE ACROSS AND KEEP RUNNING VOLTAGE THROUGH THAT FUSE/WIRE CAUSING IT TO MELT / POSSIBLY CATCH ON FIRE!!!

As long as you make sure just to touch one side at a time, you will be alright!

DISCLAIMER: The contents of this article are not necessarily the official views of, nor endorsed by, the owner of Toyotanation(com).

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Sticky vote! Wait... maybe I can stick these now...

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
No problem. I think more general car things need to be added to a section in the sticky, as you can see by my latest thread. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts