Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question... on average how much do CF hoods weigh compared to normal hoods, and how much faster will they make your car?

I was thinking of getting one for my 95 Corolla (almost completely stock) and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
They wont make your car faster. They will reduce weight, but changing only the hood isnt really that useful. A CF hood is there mostly for looks. :D

·
In Ur MOM's Pants
2,883 Posts
it makes a drastic difference if your hood weights a lot to begin with... think of it this way if you had a completly stripped car with no interior, rebars, ac, or anything that added weight and U dont need in a track car but U have a 100lb hood well yeah U might a difference if U change that hood for a 7lb hood
but if U have a stock car with all that useless weight and u change a 30lb hood in your case to a 7lb hood.. well U ant gonna notice any diff except a much lighter wallet..about 400bucks lighter

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
generally they'll weigh between 12 and 20 lbs depending on brand.

they're structurally unsound should you get into an accident.

but they're like what, +5 HP for having one? ;)

i can't badmouth them too much, as i have one...just realize, as Flashmn said, they're mostly show.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So since it's mostly for show, and it looks oh-so-cool, anyone know where I can get a sheet of CF that I can stick on top of my hood and what to stick it on with. Or is this just a really bad idea?

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
Can anyone say :rice:

If you gonna get one... do it properly, otherwise, whenever you open your hood, you will certainly look like a tool.

·
Registered
38 Posts
it kinda make sur car faster in a way its not all for looks,coz if ur into da looks why not juz paint your hood...it lessens the weight of the car so theres less load for the engine:)

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
anyone know where I can get a sheet of CF that I can stick on top of my hood and what to stick it on with. Or is this just a really bad idea?
Unless you're referring to CF-look sticker, there isnt much else you can do, you need a mold to make the CF-hood.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
I think UFOZ said it his trunk/hood was only 9 pounds. Down from the 50 from stock. It looks pretty good and it'll give you that extra tenth of a second. :lol:

Not sure if anyone makes one for you but in those g/b's they are around 500 bucks.

·
Not so noob anymore
130 Posts
Less weight = less gas = more money in pocket

Isn't this correct?

I was thinking about a CF hood to save gas money (especially today at 0.84/L). I thought stock hood ran around 100 pounds.

Plus, my current hood is so beat up from rock chips, I'd probably have to repaint the whole thing.

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
^^ Ouch! That makes perth prices cheap... only 112.9cents/L here (98 octane)

·
Not so noob anymore
130 Posts
thespud said:
^^ Ouch! That makes perth prices cheap... only 112.9cents/L here (98 octane)
^^ OK you two win...I thank god I don't live in UK or Aussie land.

·
Country Hick
2001 Nissan Pulsar
1,339 Posts
Ukranian: I take it you are talking $2 per GALLON? That is actually quite cheap considering the exchange rate, and the fat that on gallon is approx. 4 Litres.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts