Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the line between mean they are connected? Or just that it's the same connector?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I connect that the ac unit I'm working on shuts off (grounded out)

This is what the connector looks like
It really seems like a pass through vs connected

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
This is a junction connector - it plugs into a closed plug that has a metal plate inside connecting different pins, rather than wires coming out the other end. This is an easier way to connect different wires rather than splicing them. There's a bunch of these scattered throughout the dash.

So yes, they're connected.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yeah that splits out the signal ground for the AC computer.

The evaporator temp, ambient temp, inlet servo position sensor, and compressor speed sensor won't work if it's unplugged.

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Compressor speed sensor? Basically I have white red from the various sensors etc but when I have everything hooked up it gets grounded out and the ac unit shuts off. As soon as I unplug one wire it turns back on. I can get the air inlet servo to move with a 9v battery. I can also get it to move by tapping the white red to metal and holding it to the metal but it cycles from fresh to recirc back to fresh again.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Go down forward 2 pages and read about the conditions that will cause the air conditioning to stop. Are you pulling the whole connector out or just a single pin? What is the actual problem you are trying to diagnose?

The compressor speed sensor is on the opposite page from J29 and is there to detect a slipping magnetic clutch. If the difference between engine speed and compressor speed is too much it turns off the magnetic clutch.

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have all of the white reds hooked up. Junction J29 I have 2 3 pin wago connectors that simulate both sides of that connector. I then took a piece of wire and hooked them together. By doing that with the other wires going to the air inlet servo, the ac unit loses power and goes out. Once I unplug the white red it comes back on..I think. Aorry I'm trying to remember if it's the white red or one of the other 3 wires doing it. I'll double check in the morning.

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did some checking this morning. With the:
Light blue yellow, red,pink light blue & white red hooked up. When I connect the light blue to it, it grounds out and the ac controller shuts off. If I take the blue end from the air inlet motor, and touch it to metal and hold it, the air inlet motor cycles twice. It goes from fresh>recirc>back to fresh and stops.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
485 Posts
Was at my favorite junkyard today. Besides the passenger power seat mechanism I got, the 99 XLE V6 I got it out of had manual air con. Also did not have leather. I thought XLE was as good as it got. Humm. Though it did have side air bags. TMC car, if that's the difference.

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont think the 99s had auto ac. Just 00-01. I actually went today but the camry I was getting stuff out of gas gone :'(. I managed to find a 00? Or 01 solara that had the auto ac. I pulled what I think I needed but it was hard since the wiring was the same but the location of the various junctions were in different places and called different things.

Mine is tmmk built. I think it was just a rare option?
Not all xles have leather, probably depending on where you live and the temps there whether you'd even want it

·
Registered
563 Posts
This is the light blue that connects to S5 on the AC computer? That provides voltage to the position sensors in the blend doors, and also the solar sensor.

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The issue I'm having is when I hook up all of the blue wires together like in the diagram, the whole ac unit shuts off. If I unhook the s5 wire, it turns back on. I'm going to work on it early in the morning and do a video maybe

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I have all of the blue wires hooked up correctly, what would cause the ac unit to ground and shut off? As soon as I remove the s5 from the rest of the wires it turns back on.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
So S5 appears to be some kind of feedback circle, not ground or power. If you look a few pages down in the manual, you will see that it's supposed to be b/w 4 and 6 volts.

S5–SG : 4–6 volts with the ignition SW at ON position

What voltage do you have at S5 with it disconnected from the AC panel and ignition on?

If you look at what feeds those signals, it's all a bunch of resistors. Probably determines how much cooling is needed based on inputs from a handful of sensors. Check each of the blue wires and see if any of them are dead short to ground - I say they should not be, should have some resistance at each leg. If one of the legs is shorted (or burnt), it could be the reason your AC panel is shutting off.

·
Registered
563 Posts
S5 provides nominally 5 volts to the position sensors for the blend doors and the solar sensor. SG is the ground for this circuit.

Check the resistance from pin 1 to 3 of the air inlet control motor and pin 4 to 5 of the air mix servo motor. You can also check the output of the wiper in both of those servos and make sure the voltage changes proportionally with movement. The other part to check is the solar sensor.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
How do you know whether S5 is 5v or ground? I don't know the answer, but my guess would be that S5 is "Sensor 5v" and SG is "Sensor Ground". Adam, can you measure with multimeter what you're getting at either pin with just ignition power?

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'll double check after but I did check the s5 line by itself and it was around 5v. It says between 4-6 I think.
The tricky thing I'm having issues with is the diagrams are set up for a v6. So I have to cross reference the pin/ function its trying to do with the v6, and find the equivalent on the i4.
I added these but ill add the first page to the original two pictures above ^. It has the power source side.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The diagrams you posted earlier have the four-cylinder wiring in them. Where there's an (*2) it indicates that is a connection only for the four cylinder

·
Registered
99 Camry Le "Goldie"
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm pretty much stuck :( how it sits now, I have s5 hooked up to all of the other blues. Sg hooked to all the other white reds. Only thing I don't have hooked up is the blue coming from the air inlet motor. As soon as I hook that up to the rest of the blues, the ac unit shuts off (grounds out?). As soon as I unplug that wire, the unit turns back on. I tested it and its about 3v I believe coming out of the blue wire from the air inlet motor. I'd have to double check later. Should that blue not be outputting anything since its not hooked up to the s5? Could it be getting power from another one of the wires that it isn't supposed to be doing?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts