Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all for all the flamers, i already did a search with hood latch as the keyword, n the article was either replacing the whole latch or not on the topic.

a month ago i was finding it a bit harder to close down my hood after replacing a bulb. i slammed it n still nothing worked. after spraying some WD40 on the rusted latch, it was fine for a good month.

i popped the hood again yesterday, and it wouldn't close again, except this time half a can (exaggerated.) of wd-40 just isn't working. i checked the latch release under the dash and the cable seems to be stuck and can't be pushed back to the front. i need some serious help cuz i gotta drive the car home for like an hour and half from college, n i don't want it to pop open half way through. the secondary latch is still holding strong but it's worrysome when one's hood is not staying tight. do you think it can be a broken cable?

·
I know parts!
71 Posts
archangel571 said:
first of all for all the flamers, i already did a search with hood latch as the keyword, n the article was either replacing the whole latch or not on the topic.

a month ago i was finding it a bit harder to close down my hood after replacing a bulb. i slammed it n still nothing worked. after spraying some WD40 on the rusted latch, it was fine for a good month.

i popped the hood again yesterday, and it wouldn't close again, except this time half a can (exaggerated.) of wd-40 just isn't working. i checked the latch release under the dash and the cable seems to be stuck and can't be pushed back to the front. i need some serious help cuz i gotta drive the car home for like an hour and half from college, n i don't want it to pop open half way through. the secondary latch is still holding strong but it's worrysome when one's hood is not staying tight. do you think it can be a broken cable?
So did you fix it?
if so how?
I'm having a similar problem on mine :ugh3:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
internetautomar said:
So did you fix it?
if so how?
I'm having a similar problem on mine :ugh3:
Oh that latch had a ton of rust and salt on it. I cleared it up with some wd40 and my sanding sticks and it was fine afterwards. I don't remember much but I was sure it worked until a month later a rod blew a quarter size hole on my block n there went the 12 year old baby last november.

·
I know parts!
71 Posts
it didn't help mine.
I ended up removing the latch and redoing one of the springs inside because it broke and wouldn't keep the claw latched.
total cost of repair $0

1 - 6 of 6 Posts