Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
Ive got a solution to that: wire wheels. That way, you can stick a baseball card in the spokes and it will make noise when the vehicle is moving. :thumbsup:

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
they make back up warning beepers that you can just replace one of your reverse lights with. or you can hook up some kind of beeper to the reverse lights. as for when they are actually driving down the road people jsut need to be more awar of their surroundings. As for the blind, that would be hard to work with I guess.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
When I worked at a UPS hub in the mid 90's, we had the same issue. We have these tugs that haul oversized packages that don't fit on the conveyor belt (for normal size packages). I remember some of those tugs were gas. Some of those tugs were electric. It didn't help that the facility was noisy to begin with, but you had to be really careful for the electric tugs.

Also, about the same year I remember crossing the street on my college campus one day. There was a shiny brand new MR2 that came up to the crosswalk and it surprised me as I didn't hear it coming. A mid-engine car creeping up at idle is pretty quiet also.

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
Whatever happened to "Look Left. Look Right. Look Left again"?? Yeah I just got some lazy yell at me 20 mins ago cause she was crossing the street and I just popped out from nowhere. jeez lady, I didn't see your head move til I was inches from you

·
I Love Priuses
1999 Toyota Camry LE
339 Posts
Yeah, I was walking in the town library parking lot a couple months ago and I saw a Prius entering with its engine running. As soon as she hit reverse, my jaw jopped and stayed there. I could not believe how darn quiet the vehicle was. It made my Camry sound downright prehistoric. :lol:

Imagine if she pulled in with her engine off and was driving up behind me... One minute I'd be like :) and the next minute I might be like :yikes: while replying with a :rockon:

·
幻影
673 Posts
That article is the stupidest argument I have ever heard. If someone is blind, that may be in issue, but what happened to the pedestrians using their goddamn eyes and the drivers being alert?

Anyways, the quietness of the hybrids is pretty cool, but I kinda like hearing my engine roar when I accelerate.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
theres nothing quite like hearing the engine rev when youre accelerating. i have a more darwinian point of view. i live in a college town (and coincidentally go to school there too) and its not the multitudes of people that play frogger with their lives on lincolng hwy's 5 lanes...they at least usually look at least one way. its the pricks with hoods up and ipod or CD players in hand faced buried in the hood looking at the street crossing the street like its their front lawn... i dont know about anyone else here, but even growing up in the middle of nowhere with the nearest neighbor other than the 2 houses plus our own on the farm was over a mile away it was drilled into me to look both ways 3 times before crossing and to always cross behind cars whenever possible etc.

which brings me to my other complaint..the other day after visitng a friends apt, pulling out of the parking lot i just about hit some bastard trying to walk in front of me. keeping in mind that i was moving forward, front bumper even with the curb, turn signal on watching traffic to my left, with no cars behind me: this idiot decides to cross from my right side in front of my car. i notice him practically against my fender looking at me and yelling "hey...[obscenities removed]"

another time was in a parking lot this weekend attempting to drop my friend off at his car, and some dunken idiot is walking down the middle of the lane barely veering off to the side. as i pull up he sort of half turns his head as though hearing and registering me but doesnt change direction. i tap the horn and he whirls around sidestepping yelling cursing beating his chest and doing the whole getting in my face thing...except im in the car and as he side steps just keep going at idle and pass him by thinking "wtf, a-hole?" with him yelling at the side of my car and walking behind me still challenging me. yea cuz im gonna get out of my car and start responding to his "in your face" tirade...

·
crazy wheels
342 Posts
i would hear the tires on the gravel or the whistle the tire make. if you dont hear or dont see it (com'on it a big fucking box) then you will sure as hell feel it.

if i drove a hybrid i would yell out the window " im backing the fuck up!"

·
Registered
342 Posts
installing one of those loud back up systems that commerical trucks have?

·
05 Speedwayblue X-runner
1,787 Posts
mr2driver said:
i would hear the tires on the gravel or the whistle the tire make. if you dont hear or dont see it (com'on it a big fucking box) then you will sure as hell feel it.

if i drove a hybrid i would yell out the window " im backing the fuck up!"
I totally agree with you on this one!!!! Another solution a bull horn.

·
TN Member
Prius
5,461 Posts
:S Almost ran over a kid today... bastard. I was in the alley approaching a residential street in EV mode.. the kid was running down the street and crossed right in front of me. He obviously didn't see me cause he didn't turn back or stutter when I suddenly braked... wtf.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
actually i think if i were gonna get a noisemaker of some kind itd be the biggest darn ooooo-ga horn i could find. some prick walks in front of you ignoring you expecting you to stop, then OOOOO-GAAA at 150 dB or so. lets see them ignore the little grey camry lookin thing then :rofl:

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
wheres the Dukes of Hazard horn when you need it.

·
I am MAYHEM!
2002 Toyota Tundra
346 Posts
Pedestrians have trouble hearing non-hybrids as well!

On more than one occassion, I've had to wait for these groups of at least 10 wannabe high-school aged thugs to cross the damn road even when they already see my car waiting to turn (and I'm halfway in the crosswalk waiting for a space to clear in traffic).

God forbid common courtesy and wait for me to turn or atleast go around the back of my car. :mad: :rolleyes: :hammer:

·
Every road's a playground
2000 camry ce
1,338 Posts
the guy said he jumped out of the way...and im think...doesnt he see it backing out? unless he was walking with this head facing down

1 - 19 of 19 Posts