Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's 71 degrees, the sun has just dipped below the horizon. Everything is clear and light, and nothing of the sun disk is left to blind you.

You're on a winding road deep in some woods outside Boston. The leaves on the trees are finally fully open in a sea of differing greens. The road's just been re-paved for first time in 36 years. There are no cyclists, and you're playing a jazz around midnight CD that you got at a library sale for 50 cents. The guy behind you in a new BMW sports car is inexplicably driving the same speed you are, and there's no traffic coming toward you.

It's just you, in your living room chair, the high-hat, snare, sax, piano, and acoustic bass, and now and then a little hum of power as you go up a bit of a rise in the road.

I'm going to have to re-create this when the time comes to sell this car, so I can make a video brochure and say to prospective buyers, "Here's exactly what driving this car is like."

·
Registered
501 Posts
playing a jazz around midnight CD that you got at a library sale for 50 cents.
So you're a fan of jazz music?

Back in my early 20's I played with a band called JPM for about 2 years. Depending on the venue, JPM stood for either "Jammin' Past Midnight" or "Jazz Past Midnight." We were an 8-piece group as well. Jazz was our first love, but in order to find steady gigs, we played other styles as well.

Although I never quit my day job (again) after age 25, I did freelance on trombone and bass for a total of 36 years. I haven't played any since the last weekend of June 2010 (a small jazz festival).

My biggest claim in ever coming close to fame: I toured with Bobby Vinton and his Las Vegas show tour in 1981.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From time to time, mostly cool jazz era. Missed on the title of the CD -- it's a Canadian shovel-ware collection of cuts from 1986-92 called "Jazz by Candlelight" and has Chet Baker, Manhattan Project, Art Blakey / Jazz Messengers and lot of (good) people whose names I don't recognize.

Back in my early 20's I played with a band called JPM for about 2 years. Depending on the venue, JPM stood for either "Jammin' Past Midnight" or "Jazz Past Midnight." ....Although I never quit my day job (again) after age 25, I did freelance on trombone and bass for a total of 36 years.... My biggest claim in ever coming close to fame: I toured with Bobby Vinton and his Las Vegas show tour in 1981.
So, a solid sideman. Unsung heroes behind every great track.

·
Registered
501 Posts
From time to time, mostly cool jazz era. Missed on the title of the CD -- it's a Canadian shovel-ware collection of cuts from 1986-92 called "Jazz by Candlelight" and has Chet Baker, Manhattan Project, Art Blakey / Jazz Messengers and lot of (good) people whose names I don't recognize.

So, a solid sideman. Unsung heroes behind every great track.
Looked up the CD on alltunes. Good CD with great tunes and artists (Chet Baker is a big-time favorite mine).

You know the term, sideman? Wow, are you an old musician and/or an AFofM union man?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked up the CD on alltunes. Good CD with great tunes and artists (Chet Baker is a big-time favorite mine).

You know the term, sideman? Wow, are you an old musician and/or an AFofM union man?
Neither. A long time ago, I did some scriptwriting for a multimedia company in Detroit that had been founded by 3 Motown sidemen. Can't remember their names. One developed into an animation genius -- consulted for Disney, did fabulous Pontiac Firebird commercials.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,839 Posts

Back in my early 20's I played with a band called JPM for about 2 years. Depending on the venue, JPM stood for either "Jammin' Past Midnight" or "Jazz Past Midnight." We were an 8-piece group as well. Jazz was our first love, but in order to find steady gigs, we played other styles as well.

Although I never quit my day job (again) after age 25, I did freelance on trombone and bass for a total of 36 years. I haven't played any since the last weekend of June 2010 (a small jazz festival).

My biggest claim in ever coming close to fame: I toured with Bobby Vinton and his Las Vegas show tour in 1981.

(1:41)

If you guys are ever in the Santa Clara, CA area, check out JJ's Blues (https://www.sanjose.org/listings/jjs-blues), and grab a slice from A Slice of NY down the street while you're at it. Also, The Cats restaurant down in Los Gatos often has local jazz talent playing, along with great barbecue and gumbo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
insightbrewery
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing