Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic quoted me that, he does good work and the price does seem about right since I don't have servicable struts. Anyway to get this done cheaper? Are the 92-94 struts/mounts/etc interchangable with mine?

·
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think he'd be completely replacing the whole things except maybe the springs?

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
Monroe 71958, Monroe 71957
Sensa-Trac Strut: Rear;Sedan, Coupe & Wagon (Sxv10, Vcv10, Mcv10 Chassis);Left Units; 1 Req. Per Vehicle
Lifetime Limited Warranty
$73.28 usd each

Monroe 902927
59.98 each

total w/o tax=266.52usd

what the hell is he putting on your car? shit i could do that work for you and i'll show you how to do it with out rapeing your wallet

·
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know how to do suspension work, I just don't have the time or tools to do it, nor would I trust spring clamps (I've used compressors in the past). If the work ended up being only like $500 or so, I'd have no problem with it. When I talked to him today, he said he COULD use cheaper parts in there but didn't want to and said he'd be using KYB struts.

Basically I'd be looking at several hours of labor (at $60 or $65) + parts, which seem like they'll be a lot in this case due to having non serviceable struts.

·
Registered
Scion TC
202 Posts
i know some places charges $50/struts for labor, and you supply youre own parts. so if i were to get my parts installed by a shop, my total would be $710 thats with eibach springs and tokico shocks

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
they were quoting 700 here in cali for my friends accord, with alignment and installion of camber kits. this is labor only.

·
1,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he said i'd have to go somewhere else to get an alignment done after the replacement (if it gets done)... so i guess the price includes everything except that

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
strut mounts arent' the cheapest things around either....

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Yeah that price sounds about right if he is replacing the strut mounts and bearings. I would just buy all the parts off ebay and the mounts and bearings from the dealer and have them install it. And I wouldn't trust a place to do suspension work if they don't have a computerized alignment rack.

·
Professional TN browser
42 Posts
just finished doing this last week and i paid 750 for struts and mounts alignment and replaced one of my cv joints so eh i dont know this sounds kinda pricey

·
Registered
275 Posts
i was in an accident where 3 of my rims bent, so the WHOLE suspension system had to be replaced, i mean EVERYTHING, it cost me $4000 canadian

·
Current title:
253 Posts
i dunno where you're located but if u got one near u go to sears auto..it sucks but if ur not looking for performance and a reasonable price and at least name brand equip go there

they have a variety of struts/shocks..but they mainly use monroe

they cost about 160US for both the rear struts. front should be around the same so less then 350 bucks for parts total

go over to a reliable mech. maybe 2-3hrs of labor or stay at sears if u trust um..

best part is LIFETIME WARRANTY..next time they go bad take it back and they replace the parts..u only pay for labor

·
Professional TN browser
42 Posts
eh i dont know about sears after gettin a quote from one place i went to sears and they we're goin to charge me 1000 4 all the stuff i wanted and well i dont know but 250 bux is money u can throw on something else

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
little on the high side, but if you trust the dude-your call.

$50 per side labor seems pretty standard,soooo...If he is replacing some other stuff like mounts, that would be cool.

I would get springs at the same time, since theres no cost to put those on. Also best time to consider a RSB (Whiteline). If you do them seperate,you will spend a whole lot more on labor. And don't forget the alignment.I'll do that at the dealers, the shops out here don't do a good job.

I am getting mine looked up and I am know collecting parts. Was going to replace the trannie but mechanic says we may be able to fix it with parts and maybe another tran flush. Throwing on a cooler and getting some Redline.

Hes got a buddy that does exhaust,so I am going to ask him about making a set of headers for my V6. Going to tell him its a proto and see if he will be able to make more as I got some buddies that are interested. Any one here? Nice equal length,maybe with a tieover chamber. Stainless steel so we can hear that ringing. Hope he's a little adventureous.

Going to flush all fluids,replace with sythetics where I can.

New springs and shocks + swaybar will make your car handle $10000 better.

·
The Camburger
525 Posts
i was told $2600 for the stock monroe and re insert the old springs here in maryland. I think with new mounts. haha, Oh how I laughed in his face.:lol:
Let me think about that...uh.... NO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts