Toyota Nation Forum banner

R V Mirrors Rattle

10K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  lzjzl 
#1 ·
New'19 RAV4, FWD, XLE, with 800 Km. There is a rattling noise when shutting the front doors and the same rattling noise can be heard at times driving over certain road conditions such as a ripley surface or R/R tracks... The dealer tried to tighten the driver door mirror to no avail..They

claim it's due to the cantilever mirror mounting..Other than the aggravating rattling noise, I am concerned about the long term effects of metal fatigue of the door panel in the area of the mirror mounting.. I can't be alone with this problem.. Comments please.

#2 ·
Did not see this post but did just begin a thread regarding something similar. My mirrors have a substantial rattle at really any speed over 20 MPH. The dealer is refusing to fix claiming a like model comparison showed it's happening to all XLEs coming out of Japan. I find this to be a BIG issue from a long term fatigue standpoint (as you mention) but also majorly on the safety side as I cannot really use the mirrors given how much they vibrate and deflect light into my eyesight while driving. This is a major problem they need to deal with ASAP.

#3 ·
This issue is actually the only reason I joined the board to see if others are going through this. It's really bad and am not exaggerating.

Corporate is trying to say I need to file lemon law paperwork but this warrants either a safety recall, an immediate fix/halt of selling any Japan-plant XLEs. If not, I'm demanding my money back from the dealer as they're knowingly selling cars with a substantial safety concern. I sound emotional about it (which I am) but am just really frustrated.

#5 ·
Now this further confuses me as the dealer service dept. and manufacturing are both claiming otherwise rather than just repairing under warranty. They say if they order a new mirror, it will have the same problem given they performed "like model testing".

Ugh, I don't know what to do at this point. I really don't feel like going through state lemon paperwork or losing money on a quick trade-in. Feel ripped off.

#9 ·
It is the mirror internals..Going tomorrow to have driver side mirror replaced. We'll go from there..Last Toyota Repair visit (2ND time for same problem), the work order stated mirror rattling normal when shutting door but not while driving..Yes the mirrors are solidly attached to the doors..

I attribute the problem to cantilevered mirror mounted to the thin sheet metal. I would think that a door panel reinforcement such as a self adhering material could easily applied to the inner side of the door to stiffen things up - we'll see. Drive on. CJ

#10 ·
After the driver's door mirror was changed, the intermittent rattling sound has deminishe what I deem to be 80 to 90%. Perfect NO. Better Yes... Both L + R mirrors sound off a rattling sound shutting the door, no matter how gently they are shut...I'll keep you posted of any further development.

#14 ·
My case manager with Toyota confirmed today that they are not pursuing "fixing" this as it is a characteristic of the vehicle. They can't even guarantee that it will be an item addressed via TSB. They deem the new Rav4 fine and dandy.

Anyone with this issue needs to start a case; I'm refusing to close mine and claiming this is an obvious safety concern.

#15 ·
Test drove 2 Rav4s and both had the mirror shake. Between the cheap thin materials in the door for the mirror and the engine that sounds like ready to scream out of the vehicle we are not buying one. I own an 02 Lexus and a 15 Tacoma and there build quality is getting pretty bad. My Tacoma at 90mph or in strong wind has wind noise because the drivers door pillar start to flex open because the metal is so cheap.

#24 ·
Hi all, I am new to the forums, but I have been tracking this issue for months now. I bought a 2020 Rav4 TRD Off Road, fully loaded, in January of 2020. My Rav4 has excessive mirror vibration/shake/rattle anytime I drive over the smallest bumps (the tar lines in the road, lane markers, small cracks, etc. etc) an when driving at speed if there is buffeting by the wind. Both the driver and passenger side mirror produce the same level of vibration/shake/rattle. I drive the car on a daily basis and find the vibration/shake/rattle so incredibly distracting that I cannot focus on driving, let alone "enjoy the driving experience".

I have taken in the car once to have the dealer look at it, and I got the whole "it is normal/like model comparison" explanation and no offer to help fix the issue.

Since then I have completely dismantled the driver’s side door and mirror and will be posting pictures of the whole thing in the near future. Unfortunately, everything that I have done has not helped, despite some other users stating that they had loose screws and tightening screws and nuts resolved the issue, it has not helped in my vehicle.

My initial analysis is that the mirror assembly and the mounting in the door are just a poor design that are not rigid enough.

Has anyone had any further progress on getting the issue resolved?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.