Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been in touch with a shop in Puerto Rico called R9K Tuning. Been making some progress on my RAV4 tuning wise but things are still in a beta phase. He sent me a video were he was able to raise the rev limit on a 2013 Toyota Camry V6 (Something still being worked on for my Rav4). Which brought me here to you guys.

Have any of you considered or have done tuning with R9K? If so, I'm interested in your thoughts, experience and results. If not, R9k reflashes the ECU for performance (VVTi, ignition, fuel, throttle mapping, etc). Let me know what your thoughts are on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Did he give you any details on the car? Like, is it stock? Was the video taken on the dyno or the road?

·
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did he give you any details on the car? Like, is it stock? Was the video taken on the dyno or the road?
No details given as I didn't ask. I was only concerned with what he showed me around being able to move the rev limiter up on an automatic Toyota. The video was of the car on a road. Appeared to be a city street and it was only 1st to 2nd gear. It was convincing enough for me as this is what I am looking for, amongst other changes.

·
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey, you see the guy asking about the 2013 Avalon on there? Thanks for providing the peeps with the link. I didn't think he was putting it up on his website. At least people won't think I'm full of shi*. :lol:
I never thought you were lying 0:) i've just had my hopes up for a rev limiter before, and it didnt happened. Now 7100 rpm shift points MAY be just a reflash away. All of us fwd 2gr-fe models have the same u660e transmission, albeit with different final drive ratios after 2012.

Just a year ago we had no real tune option, now we can tune timing, vvt-i, fueling and shift points...

·
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is awesome. Thanks for posting. Looks like you and I are the only one's that are interested in this stuff here. :lol: I can't wait to see what results you get. He's still trying to get the RAV4's ECU to reach 7k rpm. That's key because my RAV4 upshifts into 4th gear sometime before I hit the traps. Gawd......this should be nice. He said power gains were between 12-18whp. With just a short ram (No exhaust). Gawd!

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is awesome. Thanks for posting. Looks like you and I are the only one's that are interested in this stuff here. :lol: I can't wait to see what results you get. He's still trying to get the RAV4's ECU to reach 7k rpm. That's key because my RAV4 upshifts into 4th gear sometime before I hit the traps. Gawd......this should be nice. He said power gains were between 12-18whp. With just a short ram (No exhaust). Gawd!
I'm hoping he goes further with this as i need a retune to the parts that i have on my car, I've been keeping an eye on his progress. I got my car tuned by Orange virus and there response time is ridiculously long. last convo i had with them was that they were going to be releasing a handheld tuner for the 2012+ camry which is 2 months ago and when i ask when it would be available i never got a response back. at this point i dont know if i should either wait for the handheld tuner which im now having doubts about that Ov tuning will release or go with R9K and see if he can help.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm hoping he goes further with this as i need a retune to the parts that i have on my car, I've been keeping an eye on his progress. I got my car tuned by Orange virus and there response time is ridiculously long. last convo i had with them was that they were going to be releasing a handheld tuner for the 2012+ camry which is 2 months ago and when i ask when it would be available i never got a response back. at this point i dont know if i should either wait for the handheld tuner which im now having doubts about that Ov tuning will release or go with R9K and see if he can help.
What mods do you have? And did you notice a difference with the OV tune?

·
Registered
114 Posts
What mods do you have? And did you notice a difference with the OV tune?
well as of right now i just have an intake, Pulley, Catless header, megan cat back exhaust, lowering springs, Apexi smart accel controller, and esr rims all together. The thing is that when i sent over the ecu, i didn't mention that i had done any mods to the vehicle. so it was tuned to 91 as if it were stock.so i know there's more power to be made from the car so i want to get it retuned. as for difference i felt a slight difference in torque and when it came on. the car seemed to feel more responsive.

·
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well as of right now i just have an intake, Pulley, Catless header, megan cat back exhaust, lowering springs, Apexi smart accel controller, and esr rims all together. The thing is that when i sent over the ecu, i didn't mention that i had done any mods to the vehicle. so it was tuned to 91 as if it were stock.so i know there's more power to be made from the car so i want to get it retuned. as for difference i felt a slight difference in torque and when it came on. the car seemed to feel more responsive.

You have a Camry right?

·
Registered
114 Posts

You have a Camry right?
Yeah, 2014 camry se i4

·
Honda-Tech White Ops
1,581 Posts
Using 91 octane means the timing can be advanced hence the bump in performance..

Still looking for run sheets on this flash. Butt dyno doesnt tell me anything

·
Honda-Tech White Ops
1,581 Posts
Well, OVT should be posting their dyno sheets.

Then their dyno sheets can be compared to yours.

Of course small variables have to be accounted for.. But should be right on par with OVT's runs.

·
Rubber Ducky
849 Posts
trying to get r9k to give me more information. so far i get a better result from hugging a toaster in the bath tub.

·
Registered
231 Posts
trying to get r9k to give me more information. so far i get a better result from hugging a toaster in the bath tub.
Few cooks ever give out the recipe for their "secret sauce" :grin:

What were you trying to find out?

·
Rubber Ducky
849 Posts
Few cooks ever give out the recipe for their "secret sauce" :grin:

What were you trying to find out?
what software was being used and such. The software i have found runs about a grand for each program. one to pull it, one to decode it, and one to load it. This is not counting any data log software either.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just tested my firat tune from r9k this weekend. I have to say, the car feels a lot faster. The shifts are positive and the gears pull hard all the way to shift. I know everyone is skeptic of butt dyno reviews, but hear me out. I installed the ecu friday evening. Then put the original ecu back in sunday morning. I thought maybe some of the gaines were in my head, but after putting my old ecu in, that has the tune that gave me .1 sec gain in the quarter mile, the car feels sluggish compared to the r9k tune. Even just driving around town, there is a noticeable amount of torque missing now. I took some data and sent the ecu back to r9k to adjust a few things. I did get one video before taking the ecu back out.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1461725973883432&id=1090960907626609

1 - 20 of 85 Posts