Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I just tested my firat tune from r9k this weekend. I have to say, the car feels a lot faster. The shifts are positive and the gears pull hard all the way to shift. I know everyone is skeptic of butt dyno reviews, but hear me out. I installed the ecu friday evening. Then put the original ecu back in sunday morning. I thought maybe some of the gaines were in my head, but after putting my old ecu in, that has the tune that gave me .1 sec gain in the quarter mile, the car feels sluggish compared to the r9k tune. Even just driving around town, there is a noticeable amount of torque missing now. I took some data and sent the ecu back to r9k to adjust a few things. I did get one video before taking the ecu back out.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1461725973883432&id=1090960907626609

This is saying a lot. You know your car since you drive/race it often enough. And you are probably the only person that has been able to compare the R9K tune directly with an OVT tune. And your R9K is not even done yet. You did have a chance to test the OVTuning at the track and it showed that is is slightly faster than your stock ECU. And yet, the recent tune feels that much different than your OVT Tune.

Really looking forward to your results. And others as well. Thanks for trying them out. :reckon:

·
Rubber Ducky
849 Posts
the replacement ecu isn't a bad idea actually. just waiting to hear back on when the final date is for release.

·
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Just did my last naturally aspirated run with my 2nd refresh by R9K last night. Did three runs but posting my last run. I was manually shifting because R9K is still working on how to make the car shift at 7k with the car in drive. Manually shifting, I can make it shift at 7k. Outside temp during this run was 77F but my inlet temperature on this run was about 108F. I still ran a [email protected] My [email protected] was ran with outside temps between 35f-45f and my inlet temperature was between 45f-48f. It was freezing that day. I usually knock off 1/10 every 10 degree drop in temperature.

I have over 250+ runs in this car at the track and have the tickets to show it. Only ran 100mph 3X before. Outside temps during those epic moments were between 35f-45f and one I had a tailwind. My last two 100mph was just with testing an R9K tune with outside temps between 70f-80f and inlet temps between 85f-108f.

That's a lot of info. It's only to say I know what this car is capable of if it was colder but this is not about guesstimates. So I'll stop there. It's running strong as hell though. Throttle response and lowend torque makes me giggle. Dropping car off later today for 'other upgrades'. I just sent the ECU back off for some future tunes.

In the meantime, looking forward to seeing other people's progress and/or results.

·
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
what are you using the data log it? Did he supply it?
Nah, it's not like Hondata data-logging. I use Torque Pro app on my Android phone. I record the runs with the data (Like air/fuel ratio, outside temp, ignition, etc) on the outside of the screen. It's only like $4-$5 last I remember. I also have an OBD2 Elm link (or something like that) that connects to my OBD2 port and uses Bluetooth to connect to my phone. That's how I am able to record the data. It's not as good as datalogging with a laptop or what not but it's a useful tool regardless. Plus, I like to save the videos for reviewing later.

Now, this isn't necessary. I could just as well just send my ECU to R9K and he go by info I state and whatever can be pulled from the ECU itself maybe (Like Fuel Trims, etc). I just do it this way because it is a tool I have that may be able to help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When looking to pick up a 2nd ECU to send off for Tuning, is there anything I should look out for other than the same Denso part number?

I keep reading about immobilized ECUs... not sure if that makes any difference as long as the part number is the same...?

·
Registered
114 Posts
When looking to pick up a 2nd ECU to send off for Tuning, is there anything I should look out for other than the same Denso part number?

I keep reading about immobilized ECUs... not sure if that makes any difference as long as the part number is the same...?
ECUs are Vin specific to your vehicle regardless if it's the same part number. You would need to handshake the ecu over to get it to work with your vehicle.

·
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
How does that work? Can you point me to a link with instructions?

There seem to be a few guys here with more than one ECU so I assume it's something that can be done by the individual owner.
I am at work and can not log onto Toyonation to link u to the videos (using phone now). Lookup YouTube video called 'How to program Lexus Toyota ECU engine computer and keys using just a paperclip no scan tool needed'.

Copy and paste that. That is what I do.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)

I actually purchased an ECU that was one number off by mistake. I believe it is for the Limited and I have the Sport (Same year). It didn't matter. Was still able to use a safety pin to do the resync procedure. No issues! I am actually running on this ECU now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Here's the link. I have done this procedure 2 times now. Works like a charm. You will have to do this ever time you swap the ecu out, even when putting the original back in. I found an ecu on ebay for $80. Just make sure the part numbers match if possible.

[ame]https://youtu.be/QocuEYNE6KM?t=9m54s[/ame]

·
Rubber Ducky
849 Posts
there is a guy in the states that does them as well. Will dyno tune them on top of the basic flash.

·
Rubber Ducky
849 Posts
D.A.P tuning out of texas i believe. Still in talks with him on mine for remote dyno tuning since i have access to a dyno when ever i want it. Well known in the tundra world as well.

·
Slow 2010 RAV4 Sport
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
D.A.P tuning out of texas i believe. Still in talks with him on mine for remote dyno tuning since i have access to a dyno when ever i want it. Well known in the tundra world as well.

Yeah, been following DAP here ~~~> Tundratalk

Good luck with your dyno session numbers. How soon are you expecting to make this happen?

·
Registered
43 Posts

He's local for me and have been trying to get time on the dyno for a while.

·
Rubber Ducky
849 Posts
he asked for the cal id and such from my ecm. got it for him, no reply. im not holding my breath on anything toyota related anymore.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts