Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know... I know... street racing is :thumbdown. But this guy was up my @$$, reving at me, wanting it so bad. So when the lite turned green, I was just rolling at 40 with him rite beside, perfectly even. He honked 3 times and we both took off. He krept up near the end of each gear (V-TEC) but then he fell behind again... He lost by half a car length. :confused: We went at it for a whole block.
Doesn't the 2003 TL Type S have 260hp with 6.8 0-60 acceleration time? How could I have won??? I know he was trying because I could hear his engine screaming.

AE92
0 Posts
How modded is your Camry?

Acura TL comes with 3.2-liter sohc V6 with 225 horsepower and mated to a five-speed automatic transmission with Sportshift, a semi-manual mode that lets the driver manually select gears.

The Acura TL Type-S comes with the same engine but with 260 HP (i am not sure if this model is avaliable in Canada)

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bone stock 3MZ-FE. Just a TRD air filter that doesn't do crap. Trd sway bar... and thats about it.

AE92
0 Posts
Well if you raced the regular TL, The hp between both your cars are similar. But your Camry has more torque then the regular TL, and TL-Type S (2003)

Maybe it was all driver :D

btw nice pics of your ride on your page on car domain :thumbup:

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ya the Old TL's weren't that fast, but the new ones!

I saw some guy go crazy with his 6 SPD TL the other day.:cool:

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
So this model was the old style TL? Was it the S model? If it wasn't then that is a pretty even match.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It could have been a base TL with Type S badging and wheels. If that's the case, the only way to tell the difference between a base TL and a Type S is to look at the interior (Type S has the badged shifter, sporty looking front seats, and metallic gauges) and probably the engine itself.

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it was the Type S, I saw the badge... 110% sure. If it wasn't the type S, it wouldn't even to be able to keep up. Could it be that the 0-60 is overstated by Acura?

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
kasimmmmm said:
it was the Type S, I saw the badge... 110% sure. If it wasn't the type S, it wouldn't even to be able to keep up. Could it be that the 0-60 is overstated by Acura?
Well he could have just added the badge(I doubt it though). The car is probably an Automatic as not all Type S were 6 speed. Also, as previously mentioned, you do have more torque and the 3mzfe Camry's are not exactly slugs. So think about it. If you got the jump(torque would help in this department), and he has an automatic and the 6 speed version is good for 0 to 60 in about 6.5 sec, then he probably should be doing it in about 7 flat which is right on par with you(which is why you guys were evenly matched).

You have to remember, this is street racing man. Anything is possible on the street. If his car is a 6 speed, all he has to do is suck at shifting and that would stop him from being able to pass you (you said he would hit vtec, then shift and lose ground, maybe he couldn't keep the engine in the sweet spot). 0 to 60 times in Magazines are done under optimal conditions with professional drivers. On the street with a random car(don't know if it has issues) and a random driver(don't know if he can drive), there are too many variables to be able to predict the outcome all the time.

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
kasimmmmm said:
I know... I know... street racing is :thumbdown. But this guy was up my @$$, reving at me, wanting it so bad. So when the lite turned green, I was just rolling at 40 with him rite beside, perfectly even. He honked 3 times and we both took off. He krept up near the end of each gear (V-TEC) but then he fell behind again... He lost by half a car length. :confused: We went at it for a whole block.
Doesn't the 2003 TL Type S have 260hp with 6.8 0-60 acceleration time? How could I have won??? I know he was trying because I could hear his engine screaming.
the TL-S only came in 6-spd automatic, and honda's automatics aren't exactly very efficient, so he probably had a decent amount of drivetrain loss. starts out at 260hp, and i'm sure he's a bit heavier, since it's a "luxury" car and all. that's just over 200 whp btw.

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Sorry dude, you know we don't tolerate street racing discussions in this forum. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.