Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's hear your best racing story... win, lose, crash, whatever, as long as it's interesting. Keep it legal, don't want this thread getting locked.

My best story is from an autocross a few weeks ago. I met up with Mike & Scott (SmokingTires & Ne0z) for the race. I had to drive Mike's car (stockish V6 Gen3) since mine was in another state with a blown tranny. On my last run I broke into the 69's, but had one stupid cone, so it was a 0:71 something. Best run was a 70.2XX, good for 5th out of 15 in STS (beating out two SRT-4's & two Integra's among others), 15th out of 42 in PAX, and my first trophy from an autocross. :D

On the other hand, my worst story follows. This summer I was working crew for a friend racing down in Illinois. I don't remember what kind of car it was (Open wheel, Irish made I think, Lotus powered). Friday practice he was hearing some funny noises from the top end, but when we checked it out on Saturday morning, we found nothing. Warmed up the engine, listened for everything, it seemed perfect. He went to grid for the qualifying session and I went to a spot to watch... after a few laps, he was a no show. :eek: I got on the moped to head back, and saw the car pulled off on the side of the main straight with a gigantic puddle of oil underneath. We tow it back to our spot in the paddock, and take the body panels off, only to reveal a hole in the side of the block the size of a silver dollar! The piston that went wrong had come up higher than normal, and the added compression blew out the core of the spark plug! The electrode was there and unharmed, but the core was nowhere to be seen. He had spun a bearing, thrown a rod, something or another... I wasn't around for the tear-down. Granted, this is a risk you take when racing... however this car was practically brand new. He bought it in the spring for $35-40K, and it had less than 2 hours on it. How much to replace the engine? $15,000... USD. Needless to say, there were MANY profanities that day.

·
The Camburger
525 Posts
I was at the stop light in my old pos 88 taurus wagon. this dude in that 2dr slk benz comes to a stop egging me on. my tranny slips bad and has no acceleration. it looked like crap too but he was real serious. so when the light turned i floored it, knowing it would have no effect) jsut for fun. He was gone and I was just getting out of first gear.
The moral of the story: You'll never win, racing a Taurus:lol:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Admiral:

Whats fun is to get some dumbass racing, and go so slow they realize you are just screwing with them (shift at 2,000 RPM's with light acceleration)

I did that once when there was a cop ahead :lol:

·
The Camburger
525 Posts
:lol: :lol:

now that you say that, im reminded of something similar to that in a movie. was there something like that it one of the back to the future movies

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
kenratboy said:
Admiral:

Whats fun is to get some dumbass racing, and go so slow they realize you are just screwing with them (shift at 2,000 RPM's with light acceleration)

I did that once when there was a cop ahead :lol:
LOL that's good stuff!

Or do what Marty did against Biff in Back to the Future (II, I think)- rev it up at the light, if no one is behind you though leave it in reverse and floor it when the light turns. That was fuggin hilarious.

Steve

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Umm I was on the track last season and I umm was slamming my brakes like umm in the video game...

then when I pulled to the pit, all 4 of my brakes have smoke coming out and the rotors are glazed like Krispy Kreme donut...

:rofl:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts