Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
cant say i kno anyone around where i live who does. so far i'm the only one in my area who has done anything to help their cam performance-wise. if i get some wider tires, coilovers, maybe drop it, a rwb, i'd take the cam out for a bit.

·
Damo
02 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i've had a bit of a look around this forum and it doesnt seem like anybody does the same sorta racing as i do.
i'm only interested because it would be handy to swap info with someone who does the same sorta thing.

·
Damo
02 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know this is probaly a stupid question, i had a look to try find what you(Sportivo Concepts) have done to ur car but cant seem to find anything(yea i searched), so what have you done to your car performance wise that i could mayb do that would help me on the track?

sorry if its a stupid newbie thing to ask, i'm just getting started with my new(to me) camry.

·
Damo
02 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dunno about anywhere other than here in aus. but here all you need is a level s2 or something cams licence (all u gotta do is pay 4 it) and have a safe car(seat belts bonnet clip to hold it down and a fire extiguisher in the car). then you just join a club thats affilated with cams and they hire tracks so then u just pay some money and go racing.

oh btw cams is like the australian motorsprt governing thingi.

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
talisman and brink, did you guys just show up at the event or did you have to get some kind of qualifications to be allowed to race? what club/governing body controls thist iype of racing? is it scca?

·
not actual size
Camry
1,899 Posts
The one I went to was a Battle Endless open lapping day, so yeah basically you just show up.

It really depends on what event you're trying to run. If it's like a Viper Days event or something, they may just want Vipers on the track. The last SCCA event at Gingerman was a regional event, so you had to have SCCA membership. But also, Gingerman has T&T days (which I /think/ is full track) where you just show up, pay a fee, then run.

My suggestion would be to look at the schedule for the track where you'd like to run. See what events are going on and contact the organizer(s). Also, contact the owner of the track or events organizer for it to see if there are lapping days or anything like that.

·
Damo
02 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EKam said:
damo:

I don't race but I do lapping around the track. What would you like to know?
ummm just any tips for high speed acceleration or connering. most of the things talked about here seemd to for street driving, at high speeds things are totaly diffrent. also tracks are smooth(mosly). so just anything that i could do cheaply would be greatly appreciated.

·
There is no substitute.
8,025 Posts
I guess a few quick things to keep in mind would be...

- aviod under/oversteer during cornering - neutral is always best.
- keep the car in constant speed while cornering.
- brake early whenever possible.
- begin to accelerate as soon as you see the exit of a corner. (Most people make this mistake.)

Non-driving related:
- upgraded brakes and tires are more important than added horsepower and upgraded suspension.
- front slotted rotors actually work well.

Most of these points apply to Camrys only.

·
Damo
02 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks, as for the driving i've got that coverd pretty much i think. and brakes i've removed the backing plates on the front brakes to improve cooling, i dont have any problems with breaks so far even with out braking most other people on most corners. tyers are a bit to expensive for me at the moment, i just use new camry tyers which are enough for now. i have a very small budget to work with at the moment

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
Xevuhtess77 said:
talisman and brink, did you guys just show up at the event or did you have to get some kind of qualifications to be allowed to race? what club/governing body controls thist iype of racing? is it scca?
Like Brink said, Gingerman has test and tune days. That is when I went. Waterford has this one day every fall where it lets people pay a small fee and it is a time trial around the course. I just find out info about events from my local car board and from the track website.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts