Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something really weird happened today. After parking my car, I proceeded to turn the car off and remove the key like normal. As I got out and walked passed the front of my car, I heard what I thought was my radiator fan. I stopped to listen and sure enough, my fan was running!!

I didn't believe my ears and so I popped my hood...yup...it was my fan alright. Confused as can be, the first thought that ran through my mind was "wtf?! I gotta stop it before it kills my battery"...Meanwhile still puzzled as to why the fan was even on without the key in the ignition.

So I stuck the key back in the ignition and turned it to the "ON" position and then "OFF". To my relief, the fan turned off.

As a sidenote, the fan wasn't turned on at the HVAC ctrl.

Why and how did this happen?

Cliff notes: Rad fan still on when key was out.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've always thought it was supposed to come on. Every car with an electric fan that I've had, has done this. It comes on so the car won't overheat after shutdown. Even though the water pump is not going, the thermos inside the hot engine keep the fluid moving somewhat. On a hot day, it may come back on a couple of times.

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really?! I've never noticed this with any car I've driven. I can see this happening if my car was idle and in traffic but in this case, I had already parked and removed the key.

PS- I don't have a turbo timer :p:

·
Registered
camry
583 Posts
new owner to the camry?

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
I know on a lot of newer cars, the fan continues to stay on for a short time after it is turned off. I know it does on my Elantra and my Sonata. Don't know about the S2000. So yours mine also. maybe it was just broken all these years?

But if it hasn't ever happened before, that would be weird. I'm not sure if mine does. I don't really pay attention.

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
profuse007 said:
new owner to the camry?
nope. Owned/driven all previous gens up until now. I've never noticed this before.

I guess the consenus is that I deserve a :hammer: Thanks for reassuring me that my baby is fine guys :)

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
yeah some cars do it. but i don't think camrys do this. i've had mine temp gauge go over the middle mark. i had to pop the hood and leave the key in so the fans will spin

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i really dont think camry's do that but a lot of cars do that. my friend's 91 integra does it on the rad. shroud it has a sticker saying "caution fan can turn of 15 mins prior to engine turning off " something in the lines of that. But i never see it in camry's. Its just a safety thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts