Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I want to replace my radiator, hoses, pump, and whatever else you guys think I should do as a preventative measure on my 2002 2.4L Camry. Getting up to 190K miles and haven't needed to do much of anything.

I just replaced the alternator, starter, pads & rotors (planning to do drums soon), and the serpentine belt. I come to find out that when I was doing the belt, I should have just replaced the idler pulley, so I'm looking to avoid missing anything simple/necessary while the system is drained.

So to make sure I have everything before I get started, besides the upper and lower radiator hoses, which other hoses do I need to get? Plan on picking up a water pump and thermostat, as well. What are the OEM versions of these or suitable quality brands?

I plan on doing engine mounts in the near future, as well. Anything else?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thermostat and the relief hose as well as heater hoses to complete cooling overhaul. Aisin is the OEM pump maker can be found for under $60 online. Spend the extra on Toyota tstat, hoses can be Gates or another decent hose maker.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There are some small 5/16" coolant lines that run to the throttle body as well. You can get molded hoses if you want or get a 5/16" heater hose from a parts house. Just make sure it's heater hose and not fuel line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies and info, guys!

Is the relief hose the hose that goes to the overflow reservoir and is that 5/16" hose?

Found the Aisin pump online, thanks. Any place online to get a Toyota Thermostat? The ones on Amazon look dubious.

Are there two hoses to the throttle body? Do I need to remove the air filter housing to get at them? Can only find 5/16" heater hose in 50ft quantities.

Should I just go ahead and replace the fan assembly while I'm at it?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for the replies and info, guys!

Is the relief hose the hose that goes to the overflow reservoir and is that 5/16" hose?

Found the Aisin pump online, thanks. Any place online to get a Toyota Thermostat? The ones on Amazon look dubious.

Are there two hoses to the throttle body? Do I need to remove the air filter housing to get at them? Can only find 5/16" heater hose in 50ft quantities.

Should I just go ahead and replace the fan assembly while I'm at it?

Personally I wouldn't worry about the overflow hose. It's not under pressure like the rest of the system. So unless it feels brittle or has cracks it should be find. I too wouldn't worry about replacing the radiator if it's not leaking nor the fan. But if you feel you need to do it as preventative it's your $$$.

If you remove the air filter housing it will make getting to those throttle body and heater core hoses much easier. TIP: If you remove the air filter housing, use a heat gun on low or a hair dryer on those small vacuum lines. Warming them up will make them stretch and slide off easier. I broke a fitting once due to the hardened hoses and pulling too hard to remove.

I picked up 5/16 heater hose at the Toyota dealer for one of the Camry's I did. They looked at me funny when I requested it (new parts guy) but they did in fact have it in stock. They'll sell it by the foot. I'd also call your local Napa or similar parts store. Otherwise search for Gates #18375 & 18376 if you want the molded version.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally I wouldn't worry about the overflow hose. It's not under pressure like the rest of the system. So unless it feels brittle or has cracks it should be find. I too wouldn't worry about replacing the radiator if it's not leaking nor the fan. But if you feel you need to do it as preventative it's your $$$.

If you remove the air filter housing it will make getting to those throttle body and heater core hoses much easier. TIP: If you remove the air filter housing, use a heat gun on low or a hair dryer on those small vacuum lines. Warming them up will make them stretch and slide off easier. I broke a fitting once due to the hardened hoses and pulling too hard to remove.

I picked up 5/16 heater hose at the Toyota dealer for one of the Camry's I did. They looked at me funny when I requested it (new parts guy) but they did in fact have it in stock. They'll sell it by the foot. I'd also call your local Napa or similar parts store. Otherwise search for Gates #18375 & 18376 if you want the molded version.

Thanks for all the help! I'm going to pick up those Gates hoses, and will wait on fans, but only $60 to pop in a Denso, but might wait on that, too.

What about the tranny oil cooler lines? Are those 5/16" and should I do those?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for all the help! I'm going to pick up those Gates hoses, and will wait on fans, but only $60 to pop in a Denso, but might wait on that, too.

What about the tranny oil cooler lines? Are those 5/16" and should I do those?
Fans are replaceable at any time, no need to mess with them unless they go out. Transmission line you can get 5' like this https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/transmission-oil-cooler-hose/compressor-works-transmission-oil-cooler-hose/388018_0_0 Which is what I picked up when redoing stepson's 02 AZfe Camry. Definitely change it out, at that age it's getting pretty brittle. And make sure it's transmission cooler hose, not fuel, heater or vacuum hose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fans are replaceable at any time, no need to mess with them unless they go out. Transmission line you can get 5' like this https://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/transmission-oil-cooler-hose/compressor-works-transmission-oil-cooler-hose/388018_0_0 Which is what I picked up when redoing stepson's 02 AZfe Camry. Definitely change it out, at that age it's getting pretty brittle. And make sure it's transmission cooler hose, not fuel, heater or vacuum hose.
Awesome, thanks! Will be picking up that hose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts