Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard stock radiators on a '94 model camry ought to be aluminium, but on scratching the paint off the radiator core fins, I find a copper color instead of a silvery aluminium color. Could it be that I have an aftermarket copper radiator fitted by my previous owner? If so will I require the OAT type coolant/Toyota red coolant or am I better off using a good quality green type coolant after a full flush down of my cooling system?

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
Is the top and bottom of the radiator plastic? If so, this is usually a sign of an OEM type radiator with aluminum core. The article below explains coolants, what to use with an aluminum or cooper radiator.

Suggest finding a coolant without silicates or borates. Toyota is free of these additives and the longer life coolants should also be. Just read the container to find out. Prestone has a long life fluid.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/1272436.html

·
Toyota Camry Vienta CSi
Toyota Camry Vienta
188 Posts
I dont think it really matters what type of radiator you have when choosing the coolant does it.... its more about the coolant itself that matters, as outlined in that link above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts