Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to put a cd player in my 1995 camry and when I installed it the radio powered on but no sound came out of the speakers. As fas as I know the car has no internal amp or anything. I took out the stock tape player from toyota. I knew someone eles with a 1997 that had a similiar problem and only certain cd player's would work. Does anyone know would the problem might be and why I was getting no sound? Is there someting I am missing?

·
Yota4Life
1993 Toyota Camry
192 Posts
Well... I would say first off, pull the radio again and find out if all the connections for the harness are connected. Personally i'd take a multimeter and test to see if the wires are getting signal. Other than that, if it still doesn't work, maybe the back of the radio isn't making a proper connection? Possibly defective radio?

·
Yota4Life
1993 Toyota Camry
192 Posts
hmmm... so I'm gonna assume that the new radio is aftermarket. I'd check all the connections, cuz I assume you had to connect your own wiring harness together. I'd say:

Step 2: check wiring

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
make sure the green/grey green/black or somethign like that is connected.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Check under the passenger seat to see if there is a factory amp there. If there is, you have to bypass the amp wiring.

·
Still confused...
95 camry coupe v6
2,304 Posts
if you say the car has no internal amp, make sure the stereo has one built in. weird as it may seem, there are still aftermakret stereos without a built in amp.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
^ As he said. See if you have the 6-speaker system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, that would be two component speakers in each door, for a total of four door speakers, and two more on the rear deck. The six speakers would be a sign of the upgraded sound system that has the external amp under the front passenger seat, right?

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
^ Correct. The 2 extra speakers would be 1" and in the door handle.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Pretty much only the XLE trim level had the upgraded stereo with the componenet speakers in the door handle. Sounds more like you forgot to hook up the right wires. That is why, in my opinion it is much better to by the harness adapter that plugs into the factory wiring and then splice tht into the radio harness. That way if you ever decide to remove the aftermarket head unit you still ahve wiring to reinstall the factory unit. Those only cost like 15 bucks last time I got one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the aftermarket harness. I would never cut the wires and splice it in. I bought another cd player so I will try that one. I hope it works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts