Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering why my Sony Walkman only shows 168 songs when I plug the Walkman into the car with a USB cable. On its own, it shows 281 songs. Entire albums are missing.

I did some checking on the Media Go software that loads the Walkman and discovered that all the songs that play are in M4A format, while the missing ones are in MP4 format.

What gives? I though the radio could play MP4, but it doesn't.

This happened on a recently rented 2017 Rav4 also, so it is not car specific.

Sent e-mail to toyota as well, IF they give me an answer, I'll post it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I doubt you'll find any players in cars that'll handle MP4 files as the codecs to play them simply aren't present. MP3s are king for audio files, MP4s are generally considered to be multimedia containers and not exclusively music files. M4As are audio only subtypes of MP4. As a generic file format, MP4s are multimedia type containers rather than only music files and can contain audio, artwork, titles, and other non audio data. Your M4A files, while technically a type of MP4, they are special in that they contain ONLY audio, which can be converted and read by our cars. Best thing to do, in my opinion, is to rip your music library to a USB flash drive using your PC or MAC as MP3 files. They will definitely play then.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
What gives? I though the radio could play MP4, but it doesn't. Sent e-mail to toyota as well, IF they give me an answer, I'll post it.
Meanwhile :smile: :

MP4 is a rather generic extension. It may contain audio, video, subtitles and whatnot.
A device has to identify what the file is about.

To do so, it has to compare and try a huge database of codecs.
Very few devices have such a database implemented.

A computer can do it by going on the internet.
Some AV readers may do so or already have it embedded.

But 99 % of OEM car stereos have neither capacity, Toyota or not.
Actually, most can’t even read FLAC files…

That’s why you have to “tell” the head unit that your MP4 file contains music.
You do so by using the extension M4A.

On a side note, as nice as such function would be, it would still delay the processing of the file, hence the advantage using the more precise extension.
You can easily convert your files with a dedicated program. Many are free.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys... took the advice and found that the "Media Go" software that Sony provided can convert the MP4's into MP3's.

So made the change on the PC, copied the MP3's to the walkman, deleting the MP4's on the walkman (to save space) and yes... they now appear on the cars listing when I plug the walkman in with the USB cable.

Nice thing about the USB cable is, it charges the walkman when in the car, so after a long trip it's fully charged.
It does show the album cover artwork while playing, which I think it gets during the connecting process
Still 11 songs short, wonder what those are?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts