Toyota Nation Forum banner

Radio reboots over and over

32K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Lucid137 
#1 ·
2014 4runner. smart radio with all the other things (gps map, phone, etc) Radio will be playing then stop and all you see in the Toyota start up screen. A few minutes later the radio starts playing again.

Drove to town yesterday (20 miles) and it rebooted 5 times. This is the most ever. On an 8 hour trip it would do it one or twice. I didn't like it but I could live with that. Doing it 5 times on a short trip tells me the thing is going to fail soon.

Is there anything I can do to fix this short of replacing the unit? Has anyone else experienced this?

#2 ·
These infotainment systems have tons of bugs.
Have you checked to see if there's a software fix available?

#5 ·
The dealer wanted to charge $500 for software upgrade. No thanks.

No work has been done, under the dash or anywhere else on the vehicle.

Thx for your replies.
I have the same problem with my 2015 Highlander. I was in my vehicle for a little more than 2 hours today and it rebooted at least 6 times. If Toyota can't get the easy stuff right how can they get the hard stuff right?

#7 · (Edited)

Here are resources for you to update the firmware yourself. Last link is to the directory to download the firmware update. First 2 are FAQ's.
Welcome.

#10 ·
This worked for my 2017 4Runner. I'll update in 1 week or so but this seemed to fix the issue as the system no longer continually reboots. The strange thing is that the CD, USB and AUX inputs are greyed out. This is the same as when this issue bagan this morning. Does any one have a fix for this ? If the USB input is greyed out how would I perform the software upgrade if that is the solution?

#11 ·
Those are notorious for having the constant reboot issue. We've come across one before. If the dealership can't fix it via firmware update under warranty, we can do a diagnostic on it. For a small fee$39.99
That's still cheaper than a dealership diagnostic of $120 if it's out-of-warranty.

#12 ·
Here is the service link

#16 ·
Found this topic since my 2014 Toyota Auris radio started rebooting like this out of nowhere.

Isolated the problem to when I connected with Bluetooth from my iPhone.

Had a thought about what had changed and realized I’d added a contact the previous day. My friend who I’d got the contact from had put info in all three “name-lines” of the contact and used the maximum amount of characters. Simply removed all the excess text on the contact info on my iPhone and the center console stopped Rebooting.

Leaving this here for anyone to find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.