Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we bought a used 2018 Highlander Limited Platinum last week or so. We also own a 2015 Camry XLE. We noticed that the FM/AM radio is very staticky in the Highlander unlike the radio on our Camry. We drive the same routes and listen to the same radio stations on both vehicles yet the Highlander radio reception is very poor and when a channel does come in it's very staticky. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Do the windows have any after-market tint film on them?

Might be a loose antenna wire or something. I would think that is covered by the original warranty so long as you have less than 36K miles on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure I know what you are talking about. I don't have anything plugged in. The vehicle does have usb charging ports as well as 12V outlets but I don't have anything plugged into any of them.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Not sure I know what you are talking about. I don't have anything plugged in. The vehicle does have usb charging ports as well as 12V outlets but I don't have anything plugged into any of them.
I was referring to one of those cigarette lighter adapters that converts from 12V to additional USB ports; some of them are built with low quality circuitry that actually generates high amount of electrostatic interference to your radio (AM/FM signals; if you are old enough, you might know in the 70s people add inline capacitor to some of their high tension coil/distributor to minimize/eliminate electrical/spark interference/transmission through their radio then out of the speaker as some "whining" noise as one accelerates/de-accelerates).
Some times these type of interferences can come from fan motors (some LED headlight bulbs with high speed fans, especially over time as those fans been exposed to moisture and etc) and transformers...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The fans in my LED headlights are actually the culprit in my case. :D
Ah Ha! Thank you! I was just saying that in my response to 'Ray Toyo x2' above.
That is also one of my reasons resisting from buying LED bulbs with fan cooling even most of them are brighter than those fin cooling bulbs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ah Ha! Thank you! I was just saying that in my response to 'Ray Toyo x2' above.
That is also one of my reasons resisting from buying LED bulbs with fan cooling even most of them are brighter than those fin cooling bulbs.
Yeah I was not aware of that when I bought my LED's. DOH!! It's a good thing that I rarely listen to analog radio but it's good info to have. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was referring to one of those cigarette lighter adapters that converts from 12V to additional USB ports; some of them are built with low quality circuitry that actually generates high amount of electrostatic interference to your radio (AM/FM signals; if you are old enough, you might know in the 70s people add inline capacitor to some of their high tension coil/distributor to minimize/eliminate electrical/spark interference/transmission through their radio then out of the speaker as some "whining" noise as one accelerates/de-accelerates).
Some times these type of interferences can come from fan motors (some LED headlight bulbs with high speed fans, especially over time as those fans been exposed to moisture and etc) and transformers...

Ohhh, kind of remember those things. But no, there is not one of those in the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
..... But no, there is not one of those in the vehicle.
I wish I could taking a ride with you in your HL to listen to the "staticky" under different scenarios (different AM/FM stations while driving, while making turns, while parked and even with & without cell phone being in the car and etc.), to better tell if it's weak signal or possible bad connection within the car, or sources of intereference.
I read your OP and also watched several times on the YouTube clip you posted. Seemed to me, in the video clip, a few (I think 3) times where the radio reception were cut-off (no sound) was likely do to her cell phone with app(s) running in the back ground caused the interference; others times were a combination of weak radio station transmission signal (can sometimes be tested by backing up on to a earlier station (i.e. currently on 97.1, getting static interference, change station to say 94.9, use auto search to see if the radio will find/skip 97.1, if skipped then that is a sign of weak signal..., some times you can also tell it's a weaker signal is the on-screen HD signal indicator flickers etc.) and/or if bad connection is suspended, that would require pulling the head unit out of the dash and check the antenna cable connection for any minor corrosion and if it is fully seated.

EDIT:
P.S. as of other antenna cable connections down stream to the rear side windows, they "should be" Ok as they are with security clips to interlock male/female connectors so not to come apart.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I press the button to scan/seek to the next radio station is skips over most of my pre-set stations as if it can’t find them due to poor signal.
The HD will come in/go out frequently. Way more frequently than the Camry radio. It’s annoying because the volume changes slightly when that happens too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts