Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Just recently bought a 2019 Rav4 and it's my first vehicle with rain sensing wipers.
My question is, when the front wiper control is set to the automatic position for the rain sensing function, does that automatically include the rear wiper as well even though the rear wiper hasn't been turned on?
I ask because the rear wiper has come on two different occasions even though I didn't turn it on at the time.
Both times this happened, I had the front wipers control set to the automatic position while it was raining.
If it's normal for the rear wiper to do this, that's great, just find it a bit odd that it would even though it isn't turned on.
The rear wiper didn't wipe as many times as the front wipers did which would make sense based on how rain sensing wipers are supposed to work.

I looked in the manual for an answer to this but, didn't find anything.
Tried some online searches but couldn't find anything either.
Maybe I was wording my search wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The rear doesn't have spray or automatic rain detection, the wiper stalk is touchy and the rear is on the outside of the stalk and it's easy to touch it and activate the rear wipers, more research while enjoying the drive?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am 100% sure that I did not have the rear wiper turned on the last time this happened.
Talked to someone today who works at the dealership where I bought the vehicle.
They drive a demo the same model as I have and they noticed that the rear wiper came on when the vehicle was put in reverse when they had the front wipers set to the automatic setting.
They didn't have the rear wiper turned on at the time either.
I know I had just put the vehicle in reverse at least one of the times the rear wiper came on.
It sounds like this might be another safety feature.
Next time it's raining and with the same wiper settings, I'll have to check to see if this only happens when the vehicle is put in reverse.

Your "more research while enjoying the drive?" comment isn't making sense to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ah, interesting that it activates when the front's are set to automatic and it's put in reverse, I admit, mine is always set to automatic and I've yet to see the rear wiper turn on, lucky me, I mean't no disrespect, I meant enjoy driving the vehicle and with more driving time the problem would resolve itself.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can confirm that the rear wiper does come on when the vehicle is put in reverse even though the rear wiper isn't turned on and the front wipers are in the automatic position.
Found out this morning going to work.
Arriving at work, I had to back into a parking spot and just as soon as I shifted into reverse, the rear wiper came on and wiped only once.
What's odd though, when leaving for work I had to back out of a parking spot first before moving forward and the rear wiper did not come on.
The front wipers were set to automatic and the rear wiper was off.
It seems that initially, there has to be forward motion of the vehicle in order for the rear wiper to work in this manner.
This is my first vehicle with a rear wiper and maybe this is a common function with the rear wiper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts