Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I only know about lowering the truck since Ive went that route before. I have since reraised the truck back to stock height. (I think im done with the low truck thing - I have an accord thats like 1.5" off the ground anyway lol)

Well now the rearend seem high....NEED to raise the front. :) I dont really want to just adjust the torsion bars to raise, and I really dont want to spend $100 on bj spacers, when I might get mixed results. Im thinking of just using thick heavy duty washers in place of a spacer on the bj. Granted there will be stress in the middle and away from the bolt holes, but IM thinking I could get some lift this way, not go crazy maybe just like .5". Thoughts?

On another note I have a line on a whole 4x4 pickup for parts, and Im wondering if I swap over front suspension components will that raise the front, or is there any difference at all?

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I really dont want to spend $100 on bj spacers, when I might get mixed results. Im thinking of just using thick heavy duty washers in place of a spacer on the bj. ... but IM thinking I could get some lift this way, not go crazy maybe just like .5". Thoughts?
Why not just use several layers if cardboard, that would be even cheaper and easier.

·
Not a Pre-runner
1,657 Posts
if your going to do spacers, buy them and dont use washers.
the 4x4 stuff will NOT work on the 2wd frame. totally different setup.

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if your going to do spacers, buy them and dont use washers.
the 4x4 stuff will NOT work on the 2wd frame. totally different setup.
Gotcha I didnt know about the frame differences. Its been a while since Ive been fooling with this truck. XD

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
really you only have 5 options to raise the front end. well, six., and only one doesnt involve spending money. Longtravel, being the sixth. Raising using the torsion bars, aftermarket torsion bars, aftermarket upper control arms, bj spacers, or spindles. and yeah i dont think washers are such a great idea...
if you could get ahold of some stock 2wd upper control arms, you could maybe cut them up and get little spacers out of where the bj mounts. just would probably want to go buy some grade 10 bolts

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
really you only have 5 options to raise the front end. well, six., and only one doesnt involve spending money. Longtravel, being the sixth. Raising using the torsion bars, aftermarket torsion bars, aftermarket upper control arms, bj spacers, or spindles. and yeah i dont think washers are such a great idea...
if you could get ahold of some stock 2wd upper control arms, you could maybe cut them up and get little spacers out of where the bj mounts. just would probably want to go buy some grade 10 bolts
Yeah thats a pretty good idea, I might end up making some spacers myself out of aluminum or steel, but probably stell just for the ease and price. Ive done some pretty wild stuff on my accord (cheap) and had great/lasting/non breakable results, guess I just need to think out of the box a little for the truck as well. XD

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make a solid bj spacer or buy one. They work really well :)
Im definitely thinking about it. I might end up making some...Ive got a fab shop that I might can get to make me some for less than 40, so I guess well see, I just have to measure and see how much lift I want.

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Huh lol. Well right now with stock suspension with new struts im sitting about 2 inches higher in the rear than front, I just want to level it out. Im probably gonna measure all around tomorrow which it might be a little off since I dont have the 4x4 fenders in front yet.

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do the 4wd fenders cut higher? I figured they just had the diff corner light and were flared.
Actually I dont know either, Id always figured they were a little bit higher but they may not be.

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, if your front fenders match the bedsides in height then the 4wd's do cut higher up.

Im confused lol. Im still running 2wd fenders for now.

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
haha, well the 4wd front fenders are cut higher than the bedsides, so it kinda looks like the truck is saggy when its not. I cant remember if the 2wds are the same

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh ok, well in my case after measuring my front fenders are about 1.5-1.75 lower than the rears from center of fencer to ground.

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
I would try and measure from the lip of the fender to that body line that cuts through the bottom of the truck.

You might be getting that front measurement because your front suspension is lower than the rear. If you'rea measuring fenders you want to take the suspension completely out of the picture.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts