Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, as some of you may know I've been wanting a hatch door to replace the one I have on my AE86 for a long time. And so I finally got my hands on a fairly decent one. Surface rust, but still a lot better than my current rust corruded one.

But now I've run into a problem. Call it a stupid thing to forget to take into consideration, but the hatch door I bought was off a 1987, and my AE86 is a 1985.

After trying to take off my hatch door I noticed something that just shot my hopes down of finally getting a better looking hatch door onto my AE86: The wiring for the hatch I bought is different from the hatch I have now.

I've asked several times on multiple boards about what to look for when changing hatch doors, and I was under the impression it would be pretty much PnP.

So, anyone here deal with this situation before? The 87 has the wiring connectors near the top of the hatch. The 85 has NO connectors near the hatch, so it looks like I'll have to CUT the wires leading into the 1985 hatch. ?? :(

I don't know what to do. :confused: Help??

·
Registered
95 Posts
i suppose you can try to pull all the wires out of your old hatch and run them through the new one somehow... might need some experience with the soldering iron though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:( I was hoping it wouldn't come to that. I checked the haynes manual for this and there's no section with change a hatch door, only the trunk lid for the coupe. :( :disappoin

·
Registered
95 Posts
get the real toyota manual. i have the haynes and the toyota one for the FF ae82s and it contains so much more detail (its practically 2x thicker)... good luck though, there's only ONE on half.com and its about $32 + $15 shipping USD right now.

i forgot... they're year specific so it might not be a good idea either.

this might be useful.

http://www.toymods.org.au/Repository/

actually.... this is more important.

get the FR ones of course

1 - 5 of 5 Posts