Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting gas back in my car doesnt feel like it did before it ran out of gas. What could be the problem?

i have a 03 camry se v6.

thanks

·
Registered
633 Posts
is fuel arriving ? Otherwise it might be a clogged fuel filter but I doubt it very much as these filters have been designed for a nearly car lifetime.
What exactly is going on ?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i step on the throttle it isnt as responsive as before.

keep in mind my car only has 8k miles.

·
Registered
633 Posts
This could be many things. I don't have the impression this is due by a lack of gas though. A bad knock sensor (or not connected) for instance would automatically put the engine in safe mode and reduce the timing, but it can be many other things and your best bet would go to a place like Autozone where you could have a free diagnose. Otherwise it's almost impossible to know.
Good luck !

·
The Regenerator
2018 Prius Two-Eco
599 Posts
Fuel injection systems of 10-15 years ago (and older) used to have grave warnings in the manual about never letting the car run out of gas, and if you did, to take the car to a dealer for a purge of the system. The problem, as I recall, was bubbles in lines potentially blocking flow. Don't know if this is still an issue, but I don't see the same warnings in my book (I've got a 2003 VVT-i V-6 myself). You'd think on a modern car, any problem would trigger the CEL. I assume you don't have the light. Might still be worth a consult at the dealer service dept. Alas, I doubt such self-inflicted damage is going to be covered under the wty. . . I don't have much right to point fingers, since a couple weeks ago I pumped 18.3 gal into my 18.5 gal tank, but what were you doing the whole time the low fuel light was shining in your face??? Oh yeah, per the manual, you're supposed to get a CEL when the tank runs dry, while there's still gas in the lines. Manual advises getting gas right away (gee, good idea). Did you see a CEL before you ran dry, and if so, how long did the gas in the lines last?

·
Registered
475 Posts
My hunch is your fuel pump got hurt. In-tank fuel pumps needs lotsa gas for lubrication and cooling. If you let it run dry, it will get damaged. It's good practice to gas up once you hit 1/2 tank, or 1/4 tank at the very most.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the AAA guy might have put regular in it.

how long would it take for the regular gas to be completely gone from my system?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts