Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Its the play in the front brake pads, there is about 1/16" or so gap. When the brakes gets pressed going the opposite way than the last direction of motion, the pads move to the other side (up/down), and you are hearing the metal brake mounting plate tapping the metal brake pad holder. Then the 1/16" gap is on the other side. Its nothing to do with the parking brake, or rear drums. It's that little gap up front :)

I bet once you start getting some miles on the pads yours will start clicking again as well.
Absolutely they will, assuming they are working properly! I'd bet a lot of money on that. Mine are just starting to do it after 4 or 5 months after my own fix of putting grease in the aforementioned gap. But only when I reverse with my foot off the brake and let me get some speed in reverse, then hit the brakes. If I go slow, the pads won't make the noise as I'm assuming they load in the opposite direction softer when going slower. If I back out with no brakes on and go my whole driveway, then stop for a car coming down the street, 100% click lol.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Its the play in the front brake pads, there is about 1/16" or so gap. When the brakes gets pressed going the opposite way than the last direction of motion, the pads move to the other side (up/down), and you are hearing the metal brake mounting plate tapping the metal brake pad holder. Then the 1/16" gap is on the other side. Its nothing to do with the parking brake, or rear drums. It's that little gap up front :)

Absolutely they will, assuming they are working properly! I'd bet a lot of money on that. Mine are just starting to do it after 4 or 5 months after my own fix of putting grease in the aforementioned gap. But only when I reverse with my foot off the brake and let me get some speed in reverse, then hit the brakes. If I go slow, the pads won't make the noise as I'm assuming they load in the opposite direction softer when going slower. If I back out with no brakes on and go my whole driveway, then stop for a car coming down the street, 100% click lol.

Gotcha. I've noticed the speed thing as well. It always sounded like it's come from the rear of my cars. Their garages so I guess it could be a sound illusions or something lol. Thanks GA I always assumed it was my drums/ rear brakes adjusting.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Gotcha. I've noticed the speed thing as well. It always sounded like it's come from the rear of my cars. Their garages so I guess it could be a sound illusions or something lol. Thanks GA I always assumed it was my drums/ rear brakes adjusting.
No problem TP. Hear it on your Camry? We don't have rear drums :)

I can sometimes feel the click in my steering wheel if it is fast reverse. :dunno: Oh well, at least I know enough to know its normal and not worry about it :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
No problem TP. Hear it on your Camry? We don't have rear drums :)

I can sometimes feel the click in my steering wheel if it is fast reverse. :dunno: Oh well, at least I know enough to know its normal and not worry about it :)

Well I meant my 2011 corolla and 2004 civic lol. Guess I should've clarified better 😄.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
One way to avoid clicking is to use drag reduction clips. I got some from Napa auto for $9. When I put them on Avy, I got some squeal due to it touching the disc. I have to try again. I know hardtopte72 uses them (see them in the DIY pics). I got them for the rolla, avy, and my honda. I will report back after trying it on the rolla.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just my 0.02 from a toyota tech about the pad shift.

It is pad shift and it is normal actually it's a sign of healthy and working brakes and let me explain.

The pad is supposed to move up and down and in and out very freely in the bracket. If it doesn't then you'll have all kinds of brake feel concerns. 4 stuck pads will give you a similar feel to brake fade when you go down a hill and ride your brakes. One stuck pad will give you a spongy brake pedal. A stuck slide will also give you a spongy pedal or a pedal that grabs then sinks. When you hear that noise the pads are moving freely which believe it or not is a good thing at least in my book! A car is a machine, they tend to make noises as they operate and nothing wrong with that.

I would keep my car away from the shop that "shoved" pieces of metal between the pad and the bracket to cure a noise that is otherwise very normal. It's like me complaining that my engine gets louder when i go over 2000 rpm, and the solution is to remove the engine and install 2 bicycle pedals. It's quiet now isn't it!! (This is a joke, no mocking intended but you get my point ).

Pads that are stuck in the bracket will wear prematurely and unevenly. The rear brakes on all toyota models are notorious for sticking especially if you drive in winters with salt. If you want to take care of your car and always have a good firm pedal, take the brakes apart, clean everything especially the brackets and lubricate everything making sure that the pad moves very freely in the bracket as it is intended.

Now if you want to improve or kind of deaden the noise a bit(It will never go away unless you either don't use the brakes :-D or you intentionally freeze your pads which is a bad idea trust me) Use a good brake grease which you can buy from any parts store, lubricate the area between the pad and the bracket basically on top of the fitting kit. this will muffle a bit of the noise. Also while you are there put some grease between the pad and the shim.

Someone mentioned that the shim should be glued to the pad....ahhh No unless it's aftermarket. the shims are supposed to clip onto the pad but they come off as well and are re-usable unlike aftermarkets which are glued. Put some grease between the pad back and the shims to keep the occasional squeal\squeak off.

And if it makes anyone feel better towards the dealership saying that it's normal. I am a toyota tech and I drive a 2012 camry, the pads make the same noise that yours does and it bugs me as well but it is what it is, There are 2 knobs in the middle of the dash, turn the one to the left clockwise before you reverse... worked for me :-D

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for clearing this issue up once and for all! Glad the fix I described earlier in the thread (grease the pad / pad holder contact point) wasn't just placebo :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for clearing this issue up once and for all! Glad the fix I described earlier in the thread (grease the pad / pad holder contact point) wasn't just placebo :)
I would recommend doing what you did every 10,000 miles believe it or not. On the tundra it's common for the pins to swell from rust and seize the pad which in turn seized the piston because now one of the 4 pistons doesn't move anymore then it gradually turns into a brake pull as it builds more rust.

I would take the pins and make sure that they are cleaned properly and that the pads move on them freely. In your tundra the front pads should shift as they are mostly stationary. But the rears will make a louder click than the front.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Went down to the Dealership - Normal issue

Hi, there
Myself, included, trying to find this issue, and I went down to Toyota, today
and tested, They said it's the Caliper making that noise, and it is normal for all new cars. once your car moves in a different direction in reversing, that Caliper would make some noise :wink: when braking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, is it normal for this noise to happen everytime you hit the brakes when in reverse? Because mine on my 14.5 Camry SE Sport click after hitting the petal a few times after putting the car in reverse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just my 0.02 from a toyota tech about the pad shift.

It is pad shift and it is normal actually it's a sign of healthy and working brakes and let me explain.

The pad is supposed to move up and down and in and out very freely in the bracket. If it doesn't then you'll have all kinds of brake feel concerns. 4 stuck pads will give you a similar feel to brake fade when you go down a hill and ride your brakes. One stuck pad will give you a spongy brake pedal. A stuck slide will also give you a spongy pedal or a pedal that grabs then sinks. When you hear that noise the pads are moving freely which believe it or not is a good thing at least in my book! A car is a machine, they tend to make noises as they operate and nothing wrong with that.

I would keep my car away from the shop that "shoved" pieces of metal between the pad and the bracket to cure a noise that is otherwise very normal. It's like me complaining that my engine gets louder when i go over 2000 rpm, and the solution is to remove the engine and install 2 bicycle pedals. It's quiet now isn't it!! (This is a joke, no mocking intended but you get my point ).

Pads that are stuck in the bracket will wear prematurely and unevenly. The rear brakes on all toyota models are notorious for sticking especially if you drive in winters with salt. If you want to take care of your car and always have a good firm pedal, take the brakes apart, clean everything especially the brackets and lubricate everything making sure that the pad moves very freely in the bracket as it is intended.

Now if you want to improve or kind of deaden the noise a bit(It will never go away unless you either don't use the brakes :-D or you intentionally freeze your pads which is a bad idea trust me) Use a good brake grease which you can buy from any parts store, lubricate the area between the pad and the bracket basically on top of the fitting kit. this will muffle a bit of the noise. Also while you are there put some grease between the pad and the shim.

Someone mentioned that the shim should be glued to the pad....ahhh No unless it's aftermarket. the shims are supposed to clip onto the pad but they come off as well and are re-usable unlike aftermarkets which are glued. Put some grease between the pad back and the shims to keep the occasional squeal\squeak off.

And if it makes anyone feel better towards the dealership saying that it's normal. I am a toyota tech and I drive a 2012 camry, the pads make the same noise that yours does and it bugs me as well but it is what it is, There are 2 knobs in the middle of the dash, turn the one to the left clockwise before you reverse... worked for me :-D
Just making sure, will this noise repeat after applying the brakes again while still in reverse? My 2014.5 Camry SE Sport with around 18,000 miles makes this noise while in reverse and applying the brakes. I can apply them multiple times and hear the click noise. This only happens sometimes and varies with speed.

Just making sure that my situation is normal.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 2012 Camry does it, my Sienna does it, I've had many many many cars over the decades that do it with disk brakes. Sometimes it repeats, sometimes it doesn't, probably depending on how much dirt is making stuff stick together. I had a Volvo 740 long ago that would go BANG WHAM in reverse, and it was a completely normal noise.

As long as i don't feel it in the suspension and just sounds like the brakes, I don't care.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My wife's 2013 Camry SE with ~52,000 miles was making clicking/clunking sound when braking going reverse. No braking noise is made when going forward. So today, I cleaned and greased the front brakes and now the clicking/clunking noise is completely gone. I didn't even need to grease the rear brakes.

For you DIYers, I bought the ($4) caliper/brake grease and ($4) anti-seize tubes at O'Reily, and lightly applied caliper/brake grease to those metal brackets inserts to caliper that are coming in contact with each end of the brake pad. I also greased the back of the pad, on the metal shim...as if I was doing a new brake job. I think most of you already know this, but DO NOT apply grease on to the brake pad side or the rotor, or over grease the brackets to a point where grease could get squeezed onto the pad/rotor. I also applied the anti-seize to the two caliper bolts.

I also want to share with you that after 52K miles over nearly 4 years, it was impressive to note that brake pads still had 9~10 mm left, and rotors were 28 ~ 29 mm thick. The brake fluid was by no means dirty, but it was starting to turn slightly green, so I flushed it while checking on all 4 brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I just bought a 2014 Camry SE with just 49000 miles, I heard yesterday those clicks, I have read all the post and I am not sure that the sound comes from de brakes pad, the idea and the explication are totally right and it makes sense, but in my case, those clicks happen not just the first time that I press the brake pedal going reverse. The first time you can think that It is the break pad because you change the direction of the movement, but if at that moment you release the brake pedal and keep going backward and press again the brake pedal you hear again those clicks and the brake pads are already loaded because you haven't changed the direction of the movement. In my case, the hypothesis of the brake pads is not possible.

I am thinking of doing some test with the car raised, and check exactly where is that click coming from.

·
It's Official
9,215 Posts
Hello everyone, I just bought a 2014 Camry SE with just 49000 miles, I heard yesterday those clicks, I have read all the post and I am not sure that the sound comes from de brakes pad, the idea and the explication are totally right and it makes sense, but in my case, those clicks happen not just the first time that I press the brake pedal going reverse. The first time you can think that It is the break pad because you change the direction of the movement, but if at that moment you release the brake pedal and keep going backward and press again the brake pedal you hear again those clicks and the brake pads are already loaded because you haven't changed the direction of the movement. In my case, the hypothesis of the brake pads is not possible.

I am thinking of doing some test with the car raised, and check exactly where is that click coming from.
It can still be the pads. But take a look. The pads can get annoying.

·
Banned
716 Posts
i would be more concerned if it made the noise going forward...how often do u go in reverse? such a lengthy thread for such a small issue...get on with ur lives people

·
Registered
58 Posts
2012 Camry: no clicks
2007 Lexus ES350 (basically a v6 Camry): no clicks
2017 Camry: clicks

WTF, part of me is just cynical and says Toyota, once successful as a company, has cut corners and cheapened up on grease, sound deadening, or whatever is the reason I can hear it now on the 2017 Camry.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts
About this Discussion
78 Replies
31 Participants
tpence2177
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing