Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
07 Camry I4
07 Toyota Camry LE
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Camry, I4, 156000km

For some time now, when i accelerate i hear this faint pinging/rattling sound which sounds like its a pulley rattling or some sort of chain that is loose. It mainly happens when i start from a complete stop and even sometimes when i press the accelerator while cruising. I hear the noise more when the windows are rolled down and it sounds like it coming from underneath/front of the car.

I have changed the accessory belt and checked all the pulleys for tightness and they seem pretty tight, no wobbliness. I have gotten a dealer to check it out, and they told me it was the flex pipe, i had it changed and still hear the noise, this was quite a while ago. Also no leaks from the water pump area.

The sound can only be heard when the car is in motion, and if i put it in park, or N and rev the car there is no sound. I have heard that it could be suspension related and i have had a mechanic check the suspension and he says he cannot see anything wrong. I even tried to run premium gas in the car to rule out engine pinging, and sure enough the noise persists with 91 octane gas.

Could it be related to transmission? I do a fluid drain and fill every 30,000km. And the fluid always looks new and does not smell burnt.

Any ideas on how i can get to the bottom of this noise?:dunno:

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,777 Posts
How many times did you try premium fuel? My 2009 pinged like mad until I strictly went to premium. It's been good ever since.

Reactions: kaashifv

·
07 Camry I4
07 Toyota Camry LE
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have been running premium fuel for about a month and the noise still persists. Today I started the car and let the engine idle for 15 mins while listening under the hood and i heard what seems to be a hollow drone, almost like the metal covering the manifold was resonating, but it was solid when i tried to move it (of course when the engine cooled) not sure if that could contribute to the noise.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,777 Posts
Which oil specifically? My engine was rattly on Mobil 1. I switched to Pennzoil and that helped SIGNIFICANTLY.

Can you make a video of the noise?

·
07 Camry I4
07 Toyota Camry LE
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to use quaker state 0w20... The 5w30 oil i am using now is the pennzoil platinum. I will try to get a video of the noise, but it may be a while.. Seeing as how the noise only comes up when driving. If i get a clear recording i will post it here. Thabks for the help so far.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,777 Posts
No problem.

It's tough to use internet diagnosis on a rattle.

·
Cruisin' along
2019 Camry LE
852 Posts
(1)
2007 Camry, I4, 156000km

For some time now, when i accelerate i hear this faint pinging/rattling sound which sounds like its a pulley rattling or some sort of chain that is loose. It mainly happens when i start from a complete stop and even sometimes when i press the accelerator while cruising. I hear the noise more when the windows are rolled down and it sounds like it coming from underneath/front of the car.

I have changed the accessory belt and checked all the pulleys for tightness and they seem pretty tight, no wobbliness. I have gotten a dealer to check it out, and they told me it was the flex pipe, i had it changed and still hear the noise, this was quite a while ago. Also no leaks from the water pump area.

The sound can only be heard when the car is in motion, and if i put it in park, or N and rev the car there is no sound. I have heard that it could be suspension related and i have had a mechanic check the suspension and he says he cannot see anything wrong. I even tried to run premium gas in the car to rule out engine pinging, and sure enough the noise persists with 91 octane gas.

Could it be related to transmission? I do a fluid drain and fill every 30,000km. And the fluid always looks new and does not smell burnt.

(2)
Thanks for the reply. I have been running premium fuel for about a month and the noise still persists. Today I started the car and let the engine idle for 15 mins while listening under the hood and i heard what seems to be a hollow drone, almost like the metal covering the manifold was resonating, but it was solid when i tried to move it (of course when the engine cooled) not sure if that could contribute to the noise.
(3)
Hi to all i have same problem with my camry se 2007 and no body can find the problem plz plz any sagest plz?

regarding # 1

many cars if not all, have a knock AND ping sensor in the engine. the function of these sensors is to "retard" the timing under certain circumstances.

in the "old days" we were able to loosen a bolt on what was called a "distributor" and move it in one direction or another to set the timing.

have someone check your vehicle for such sensors, and there is no repair other than replacement.

so if you are getting this ping/knock/rattle, under acceleration, pretty much the only time you'll get it, and you are using 90 or higher octane, a bad sensor will do this.

regarding # 2....the "hollow drone noise under the hood"..

get the alternator checked out for a bad bearing. all the belts have to be removed, and with the engine off, rotate the drive pulley on the alternator, then the p/s pump....i do not believe it'll be the a/c compressor....."hollow drone", from my experience was usually an alternator or water pump, or p/s pump bearing noise.

regarding # 3

see response to number 1.......

"DISCLAIMER"....

in today's cars/engines, the possibility DOES exist, that these knock/ping/rattle sensors are no longer there, BUT as such, then the computer will indeed be set up for these, and as such, the parameters of the computer will have to be adjusted, which either a dealer can do or a repair garage.

·
CamryRaidersFan
2007 Camry SE
23 Posts
How many times did you try premium fuel? My 2009 pinged like mad until I strictly went to premium. It's been good ever since.
I am curious to know what benefits i would get by changing to the higher grade fuel from just the norm that i use. I have been thinking about this myself, any knowledge is appreciated.

I don't have any issues with my 07 Camry as it only has 33K miles but if this will help it run even better I am willing.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,777 Posts
I am curious to know what benefits i would get by changing to the higher grade fuel from just the norm that i use. I have been thinking about this myself, any knowledge is appreciated.

I don't have any issues with my 07 Camry as it only has 33K miles but if this will help it run even better I am willing.

Thanks
From a roll of say 25 MPH, punch the throttle. Does it ping and hesitate badly? Try premium with the same test. Is the problem gone?

Also with only 33k on an 07, I would highly recommend a switch to 5W30 synthetic oil like Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1.

Reactions: Wescyde

·
CamryRaidersFan
2007 Camry SE
23 Posts
From a roll of say 25 MPH, punch the throttle. Does it ping and hesitate badly? Try premium with the same test. Is the problem gone?

Also with only 33k on an 07, I would highly recommend a switch to 5W30 synthetic oil like Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1.
Yah i will try this out when i drain this tank i have now and see what happens. I have never noticed any problems with my car at all accelerating but i will see if I notice anything. Why the change in oil? How will that affect my cars performance or longevity? Appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,777 Posts
Yah i will try this out when i drain this tank i have now and see what happens. I have never noticed any problems with my car at all accelerating but i will see if I notice anything. Why the change in oil? How will that affect my cars performance or longevity? Appreciate it
I (opinion) am convinced that the 20 weight oil is a major cause for oil burning on these Camry engines.

Switching to 30 weight over 20 weight won't result in any measurable degradation to performance or fuel economy. Most I've seen make the switch say the engine becomes much quieter and smoother with no loss to fuel economy (mirrors my experience).

The only advantage to 20 weight oil (0W20/5W20) is fuel economy and ultra cold weather cold starting. Even with that, there is ZERO compelling reason to run 20 weight oils in the 2AZFE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Camry, I4, 156000km

Hello, I dont have an answer for you but this same thing happens to me in my 2014 toyota highlander. Everything was fine but started hearing this noise and feeling some things right after I filled up the gas tank. I used regular fuel, drove home did not use the car til night. As I came to a complete stop then accelerated the car felt a bit heavy then jerked and continued to drive normally. The next day it stopped doing this and thats when i started hearing this noise. And just like you it only happens when the car is in motion. I also have felt what I can explain as a vibration/or as if all 4 wheels where like jerking in a way and this only happens as I am coming to a stop real slowly. I have taken it to Toyota dealership who took about 4 hours and kept coming back telling me they were not hearing/feeling what I had explained. They came back after only to tell me it was the transmission and wanted to charge me $8k. I went with other mechanics for other options because I felt its not the tranny. 2 other mechanics have told me they dont not feel or hear what I explained. This last mechanic told me to pour in a bottle of heet because he felt its possibly the fuel that i had used. And now I'm just sitting here wondering what could be wrong. 3 mechanics stated not the transmission but Toyota stated transmission. And mind you they did not seem to sure. Any help is appreciated. Mileage is at 99,501. Use daily about 22 miles ea. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All, 2007 Camry 2.4L 179k Miles I'm having the same issue as the original post. I'd describe mine as a high pitched rattle while under acceleration, specifically between 2500-2900 RPM. One shop had told me it was coming from the flex pipe or CAT, I have replaced both, with no help. I can get it to briefly rattle/zing for a split second while in park and rev'ing the engine to those RPM's, it will not continuously rattle in park even if i hold at those RPM's. The belts good, haven't replaced any pulleys. I have had the car for 2 years now, since about 148k miles, the rattle started about 155k. I'm running Mobile 1 0W/20 and have been since owning the car. I run 87 Octane

1 - 18 of 18 Posts